We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What ever happened to...

Jarrow
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
What ever happened to...

... the £199 package holidays??

I've done a bit of searching over the past few days on a number of different sites, TC Jet2, loveholidays etc and the cheapest week I can find in October is £391.49 inc seats together but only 15kg luggage allowance.

Booking independantly is coming out at over £400 when allowing for the above plus transfers, what on earth happened?

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,440 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What ever happened to...

Hey

Sign of the times dude, see the OH thread. Few n far between, still can occasionally get them but not often.

As for solo travellers, its getting distinctly more difficult to get a cheap package.

M

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,562 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What ever happened to...

They even had the odd £99 holiday back in my day! It was normally 7 days at the Doreta or Alexia mid March, probably cheaper than Butlins though and I know where I'd rather be!

Atherton, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What ever happened to...

Well years ago the tour operators would take on lots of accommodations/rooms and when there were lots left these got sold off cheap rather than remain empty. But as many people would wait till last min for a cheap deal the TOs stopped taking on as many properties and rooms and so they are no longer left with many to sell off cheap.

If its a certain place or property you want now you have to get in quick for the best deals!

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,440 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What ever happened to...

Hey

My cheapest was £59 p/p for 2 weeks in Raki with 'young n lively/friendly/happy' or whatever they were bloody well called. Dont qualify now, although I am happy.

Goldensun £89 p/p in Vassoula for 2 weeks was my cheapest in Lindos, all in.

M

wakefield
Level Contributor
179 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What ever happened to...

May be best to book your holidays at work and then just hope for the best. That's how we ended up at Lindos gardens this year, it was cheap £800 for 2 for 2 weeks end of September and that was from our local Leeds airport..

Hi Babs, hope you're OK and enjoying the rest of your holiday, was lovely to meet you and i hope we meet again soon

Ange

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,440 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What ever happened to...

Hey

That just reminded me of something. The Vassoula entrance door was located right opposite Billys Bar entrance in the narrow alley. So when my ex Mrs n I plus ex in laws all stayed there together, whilst the girls were getting ready, my ex father in law n I would sneak out into Billlys with the mantra 'one small step into Billys, one giant leap to the bar'. Perfect.

M

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,562 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What ever happened to...

There wasn't that much in the way of contracted rooms that went to late deals when I was repping Babs, they'd just add unbrochured properties as and when needed. In fact high summer, the office would be hunting down your room whilst you were on the plane! Cheap properties, checked by noone... oh my welcome meetings could be fun!

Jarrow
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What ever happened to...

Mart I can just picture you and your ex FIL doing a slo-mo 'walk' to Billy's... lol

I used to love welcome meetings, you met the rep then did'nt see them again for two weeks but the free ouzo n lemonade was always welcome, do they still give a free drink these days?

Exeter
Level Contributor
121 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What ever happened to...

We managed £218.00 in May this year....Lindos Gardens...2 weeks including luggage and transfers....But had to go from Gatwick. Bought it through Olympic using Easyjet.

Nothing like that for next year.....Can buy Phillipos from Bristol (my airport of choice), with TC... two weeks including all the trimmings, for £395...but 27th August. So great date, but those Phillipos G/F rooms are pretty ropey. Vowed I wouldn't stay there again........ That's the best option at present.

Used to be spoilt for choice.....

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What ever happened to...

I think a number of things Andy..

Ever increasing fuel prices and surcharges.

A lot of accommodation owners getting cheesed off with being paid so little for their rooms by TOs have now gone down the independent route, so a shortage of rooms. Those accommodation owners still with TOs can get a better price as indeed they deserve.

Companies like XL/Kosmar going down the pan, they owned or leased well over 20 planes, that's a lot of seats that are no longer available.

Holiday companies possibly learning from those who have hit the skids and realising that they can no longer offfer holidays at silly prices if they wish to stay in business.