We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has Lindos Become Too "Touristy"?

Which Lindos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
concord nh
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Has Lindos Become Too "Touristy"?

We are planning an October 2014 trip to Rhodes and am considering a stay in Lindos for 5-7 days. Starting to hear that it has lost its charm and is now too touristy and very crowded. We normally travel to Greece in early-to-mid October and most of the islands by then are in their low-season with less tourists and lower prices. Has anyone been to Lindos during October and is it still crowded and over-run with tourists? If so what would be a good alternative with a less touristy feel to it reachable by bus from Rhodes Town?

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has Lindos Become Too "Touristy"?

Hey

When you say "too touristy", I guess you refer to the number of day-trippers that descend on Lindos each day by coach/boat between 10 and 3.30'ish During the height of the summer (say late June/July/Aug/early Sept), this does make it uncomfortable to negotiate your way through the village centre during this 5/6 hr period and most holidaymakers staying in Lindos avoid the village in the height of the day. This is not usually a problem as the beaches/pools(Krana) provide the natural distraction and is not a compromise. The beauty of actually staying in Lindos is you can wander into the village with ease before 10am or after 3.30ish. An early morning walk to the Acropolis not only beats the crowds but also beats the heat. A stroll around the village before 10am is lovely, watching it come to life. The real charm of Lindos comea into play late afternoon and into the evening where you can wander the village at will and peruse the bars/restaurants in hidden nooks n crannys, without being herded along by tour reps.

Of course, you are considering early October, a perfect time to visit the village, yes there will be some organised day tripper tours but nothing like the hordes of high summer and you can easily wander into the village at any time. Beaches will not be packed and all the restaurants/bars still open. Weather wise, temps of 27 to 30 are common each year with many days of sun. Although there is a chance of some cloud, rain or even a storm.

You mention Rhodes Town, it offers many fantastic things to do and see and a day trip or two from Lindos would never do it justice. Given this, have you considered a 2 centre holiday. For example, 3 nights in Lindos and 2 in RT (if a total of a 5 night stay) or 4 and 3 (if a total 7 night stay). Or any combination you wish to allow chilling time in Lindos and sightseeing in RT. The best of both worlds.

Lindos is to some extent a victim of its own beauty, history and well earned reputation. Day trippers are a fact of life there and whilst this can be annoying at tines, it is providing much needed income to to the village itself. In October, occasional tour groups aside, there are enough people holidaying there to give it an atmosphere but without feeling 'inundated'.

Go and enjoy

Mart

Edited: 09 November 2013, 08:53
Rhodes Town, Greece
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Has Lindos Become Too "Touristy"?

Hi. By its very nature Lindos is a tourist destination but by October it has calmed down greatly - though if there is a cruise ship in Rhodes Town Lindos will be busy during the day. I notice from your other post you are planning on staying in the Old Town. If you want places that are not touristy I suggest hiring a car for a day or two and seeing the rest of the island. There are many working Greek villages though none of them has the visual WOW factor that either the Old Town or Lindos has. Staying in either destination is definitely an exerience not to be missed. Enjoy.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,786 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has Lindos Become Too "Touristy"?

Here is to give you an idea of the island crazyh:

Old Town

http://tinyurl.com/czvsch

Rhodes Town

http://tinyurl.com/d5xz9o

Lindos

http://tinyurl.com/cfgt4a

Filerimos

http://tinyurl.com/cja8gl

Kameiros

http://tinyurl.com/cshqzh

Archeological Museum (in Old Town)

http://tinyurl.com/c9dxvl

Around the island

http://tinyurl.com/cu69ef

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,786 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has Lindos Become Too "Touristy"?

BTW: Most of these photos are taken in mid October.

Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Has Lindos Become Too "Touristy"?

If you really want to go to Lindos and get the real Greek feel, then go for the Easter celebrations. Please note that next year they are in April (not exactly October) but it is a lovely time of year to visit Greece in general and has the added advantage that it is a couple of weeks before the main tourist season starts.

Go for it - you won't be disappointed

Edited: 09 November 2013, 10:06
Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,284 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has Lindos Become Too "Touristy"?

I think Mart and Sharklette have got it covered, if you want to visit a place of beauty, with all the facilities that most would like for a good holiday, to a degree it will be touristy. The only places you will find low tourism on Rhodes are the smaller villages, off the beaten track - a great place to visit but not really a holiday base for all.

I'd say Lindos and Rhodes Town are very tourism focused but the structure, atmosphere and history of the old cobbled streets, remain unchanged and beautiful. Most that describe Lindos too touristy, full of souvenir shops, etc. will have never visited Lindos by night. They'll have jostled through the crowds up to the scorching hot Acropolis, missing much of the beauty that those 'in the know' have come to love. Wherever you decide to stay, try to take an early morning wander through the streets (camera in hand) and an evening meal with the lit Acropolis as your backdrop, to fully appreciate Lindos as a village. Likewise with the Old Town, get off the main streets (where the majority will head) as the quieter, residential streets are a world away from the hustle and bustle of Socratous. Nights again, offer a totally different atmosphere and vibe, well worth experiencing.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,169 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has Lindos Become Too "Touristy"?

We love Rhodes Old Town but it is more over-run with tourists that it used to be. Nevertheless, charming and fascinating. Lindos was not our place at all. Large numbers of tourists interested in drinking and UK football games. The beach a long way from the accommodation. Incredibly hot and we were warned even hotter at peak times, like over 100F. No parking near the village so you walk everything into town.

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has Lindos Become Too "Touristy"?

Hey

A rather sweeping statement. A lot of the accommodation is only a 5/10 min walk to the beach. Whilst temps in July/Aug can hit 100 plus. The OP is intending to visit in early/mid Oct where temps,when sunny, can be anything from 75 up to late 80's on occasion with little humidity and often good breezes. In terms of bars, yes, some bars cater for football, yet there are many bars where you can go and relax n chill with no football. Re parking, yes there is parking near the village by St Pauls Bay, and near to the main square off the main beach road. Of course, the village itself is pedestrianised due to its historical structure and remaining true to its origins. Therefore wheeling suitcases through the village to yr accommodation is unavoidable.

M

Edited: 09 November 2013, 11:52
Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,284 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has Lindos Become Too "Touristy"?

The beach a long way from the accommodation - It sounds like Lynn B was possibly up on Krana hill? Could fit with the drinking and football crowds, if you were in Lindos View or Gardens with one or two large wedding parties, perhaps. The village, whilst having the likes of Giorgos and Red Rose Bar does have plenty of other bars and it would have to, I have zilch interest in football!

I'm not sure how long you were in Lindos for Lynn or if you just didn't venture into the right areas but for future visitors, there is plenty of parking close to the village. On the St Paul's Bay side, there's free parking just outside the village perimeters and at Lindos Reception or Main Beach Road, it's metered parking or free parking just a little further on.

The temperature issue might work for you crazyh. Not sure if you're beach people but Rhodes Town's beaches are windy so can feel quite cool, nights too can be a little chilly in October. Lindos though not uncomfortably hot, will remain that few degrees warmer.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has Lindos Become Too "Touristy"?

I'm a big football fan, season ticket et al, but when I go to Lindos I hardly ever watch it. Many of my favourite haunts dont even have a telly! I sometimes wonder if I go to the same Lindos as may of the contributors on here, It never ceases to amaze me the differences in opinion and experience of people. I go back to Lindos because of the nightime vibe, and the relaxed beach life during the day. If it was all drunk brits, footie and greasy chips I for one wouldnt go back. But its not, and I do.

Oh, and I'm a tourist, or holidaymaker, or whatever else I am. And I receive a welcome in Lindos that makes me return year after year. A fab little place which ticks all the boxes.

Enough said.

Rich.