We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has Lindos Become Too "Touristy"?

Which Lindos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
concord nh
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Has Lindos Become Too "Touristy"?

We are planning an October 2014 trip to Rhodes and am considering a stay in Lindos for 5-7 days. Starting to hear that it has lost its charm and is now too touristy and very crowded. We normally travel to Greece in early-to-mid October and most of the islands by then are in their low-season with less tourists and lower prices. Has anyone been to Lindos during October and is it still crowded and over-run with tourists? If so what would be a good alternative with a less touristy feel to it reachable by bus from Rhodes Town?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,101 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Has Lindos Become Too "Touristy"?

Maybe we went the wrong way round but the beaches, by foot, seemed a very long way away and all downhill (so uphill coming back) This from a nice bar, Rainbird?? nickbooth.id.au/Europe11/…Lindosbay.jpg

As I say, beaches aren't our thing so not important to us but apart from beaches and bars not a lot to do (we did see the church and walk a bit). But our holidays are to see things more than relax. We are retired, so relax is what we do at home.

I can appreciate that Lindos suits others. We enjoyed our time but preferred other places on our trip.

You might get a better feel for what appeals to us from our website

www.nickbooth.id.au/Europe11/Rhodes.html

Cheers

Lynn

leicestershire uk
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Has Lindos Become Too "Touristy"?

Just returned from our October holiday in lindos. It was really quiet compared with high summer and it was still lovely and warm, just needed a cardi at night. Def recommend October if you want it quiet.

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Has Lindos Become Too "Touristy"?

Well Xenones is one of the furthest from the beach but it may be down to knowing your way as you say. For me It's less than 10 minutes to Pallas beach, even less to St Paul's but I'm always out and about early, so miss the crowds.

Working two jobs means relaxing is a major part of my holiday but as you say, that's not for everyone. My Father isn't a beach person and also prefers Rhodes Town, as there's more to see and do. So I see where you're coming from.

London
Level Contributor
763 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: Has Lindos Become Too "Touristy"?

Lynn B - Sorry to hear that you couldn't cope with the hills, narrow traffic-free streets and high temperatures of Lindos in summer - but that's Greece! There are of course purpose-built resorts, with new flat roads, modern conveniences and easy parking directly outside one's door if that's important, and of course TA is here to help people find these places.

I would never advise anyone with mobility problems to stay in the village - although you'd be amazed at how some regulars manage with a bit of determination... Helps keeps them fit like the locals..lol

Edited: 11 November 2013, 21:17
Wales
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Has Lindos Become Too "Touristy"?

I was there last week Sept/first week Oct, along with a few other contributors on this thread....and crowded would be the last thing I would have said! Yes there are the trippers in the afternoon, but they're only there a few hours during which time I was usually snoozing on my sunbed anyway! I thought the last few evenings we had out before coming home were very quiet, hardly anyone about. The beginning of our 10 stay was a bit merrier....due in part to Sept/Oct TA'ers meetings which were great fun, especially as we met up with some of them a few more times! Anyway, it will be more like early September for us next year....we like a bit of jolly touristy evenings....oh and I'm right way up now!!

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Has Lindos Become Too "Touristy"?

I've been to Lindos a few times, originally stayed there for much of the summer in 1977. It's not much more touristy now than it was then, I was very surprised at just how little it changed from 1977 to 2007, I've not been there since, but would guess like most of Greece it's less crowded now, at least out of those few tourist hours during the day.

Edited: 12 November 2013, 13:56
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
978 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Has Lindos Become Too "Touristy"?

Really interesting thread and some great replies already from the regulars

Im sure Im not alone in that after a few days in Lindos I find myself berating the 'tourists' that have the temerity to visit for the day, spoiling it for us 'locals' :D

Really cant understand the comments about being too far from a beach, even from Krana its only a short pleasant walk down either side (and struggle back up suicide hill) or the UK football dig, I struggled to find somewhere showing a Newcastle game once (Thank god for Billys)

For me Lindos is the perfect blend of popular (i.e. 'touristy') and authentic. Its really hard to explain to anyone that hasnt yet been

28. Re: Has Lindos Become Too "Touristy"?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2014, 05:15