We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of living in Lindos?

West Midlands
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of living in Lindos?

Hiya,

we're going to Lindos for the first time in September 2014. I was wondering what the prices are for drinking and eating out in general. How much is a large beer/small beer? Bottle of wine/glass of wine or cocktail in the less expensive bars?

Also we are renting a town house with a kitchen so are planning to cook some meals rather than eating out every day. Is there a well stocked supermarket in Lindos and how do prices compare to the UK in general?

Just thought I'd get a handle on how much spending money we need to bring! :)

Grateful for any advice!

Many thanks!

Brighton
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of living in Lindos?

It won't be until the season starts that we will find out the actual costs. Luckily for you all will be revealed before you go in September.

There are no Supermarkets in Lindos Village just a few corner shop type places. They are quite well stocked but not cheap in comparison to the usual places in the UK particularly if you are looking at familiar brands.

Restaurant food prices vary though and you can find things for most budgets.

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
407 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of living in Lindos?

you need to remember that lots of things have to be brought to the island from the main land, so they will be more expensive. last year 6 eggs cost 5 euros, much more than at home. its all down to what you want to eat.

Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,520 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of living in Lindos?

andi32

what a rip off

We shop in a ' proper ' supermarket not one aimed at tourists.

I have just looked on our last till receipt @ we bought 10 eggs for € 1.64

Rhodes Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of living in Lindos?

Andi32 - I am super shocked - where on earth did you pay 5 euros for 6 eggs?

MazzyC - there is a super market on the main road just past Vlycha, about a 5 minute-ISH drive from Lindos. It is called Flavaris. Lardos, a village just south of Lindos (about a 10 minute-ISH drive from Lindos) has 2 butchers, a fish shop and a vegetable/fruit shop. also if you are hiring a car there are fruit and veg markets in Rhodes Town on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays where you can buy lots of incredibly cheap local produce - including fresh eggs.

Enjoy.

Edited: 30 January 2014, 09:27
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
355 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of living in Lindos?

Hi,

The supermarkets in the village are rediculously expensive when compared to what we pay over here. There is one up on Krana which tends to be a bit more reasonable. It's also bigger with a better selection of stuff. On our first trip to Lindos, my suitcase didn't arrive so we had to shop for all our toiletries (amongst other things). The bill was horrendous. A toothbrush was four or five euros! As for dining in, for me, one of the main attractions to Lindos is the evening dining out in the restaurants. By the time you've splashed out in the supermarket and slaved over the cooker in the Lindian heat you'd probably wish you were sat in your favourite roof-top restaurant eating, drinking and taking in the view. We do tend to make our own lunch as we find it's more enjoyable than the tat that you buy in the beach-side restaurants. It also keeps the daytime costs down as these can run away with themselves (two sun loungers and brolly 8 euros) plus lunch, plus a steady flow of beer throughout the day to stave off dehydration. Whatever you do, enjoy!

Regards,

D.

Brighton
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of living in Lindos?

I agree with Lulusdad....my evenings in Lindos are all about having a meal out. Save money on lunch or have a Gyro or some pizza or just one of the cheaper dishes on the menu. The bulk of your evening cost will be dictated by what you choose to drink and how much! As a rough guide in recent years a long drink (spirit & mixer) has cost on average 5 eur....there is plenty of mains to choose on a menu less than 15 eur

Jarrow
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of living in Lindos?

Hey Trevor, will you do me a 'shop' and deliver in June please ;-)

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,451 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of living in Lindos?

I think as Jo says, you have to think of the village supermarkets as more of a corner shop. They sell a little of everything and as such you pay for the convenience. If you plan on cooking a lot of meals then a taxi/bus out to Flevaris would probably pay for itself. That said alcohol is still relatively cheap, even in the village supermarkets, you can pick up 1.5 litres of retsina/local wine for less than 5€.

As for when you're out, a large beer will cost around 3.50-4€, glass of wine 2.50-4, spirit and mixer around 5 and cocktails around 7. Not particularly cheap but if you're a regular in a particular bar, you'll often get a round on the house or free shots. Dinner costs can vary a fair bit but 2 courses with wine, in an average restaurant will be less than 20€ per head. All restaurants display menus outside so you can get an idea of price before going in.

Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,520 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of living in Lindos?

Andy. The supermarket we use, Panyotis in Afandou, do deliver.

I have seen them delivering in Lindos & Pefkos

Telephone number is 22410 53316

Jarrow
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost of living in Lindos?

Cheers Trev, I'll ring them and see if they have an email address so I can send an order through, thanks again..