We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of living in Lindos?

West Midlands
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of living in Lindos?

Hiya,

we're going to Lindos for the first time in September 2014. I was wondering what the prices are for drinking and eating out in general. How much is a large beer/small beer? Bottle of wine/glass of wine or cocktail in the less expensive bars?

Also we are renting a town house with a kitchen so are planning to cook some meals rather than eating out every day. Is there a well stocked supermarket in Lindos and how do prices compare to the UK in general?

Just thought I'd get a handle on how much spending money we need to bring! :)

Grateful for any advice!

Many thanks!

oldbury, west...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Cost of living in Lindos?

I've never tried them Andy. Not keen on red wine, only my sisters homemade damson which knocked my head off and lost a day lol. Are there cartons of white wine? Lulus dad. I agree that eating out in the evening in a taverna is a must and something we always look forward to, but disagree that the beachside tavernas don't always turn out 'tat'. Mare Mare for example serve fantastic kalamari. Okay €9 each is quite expensive for lunch, but only do it a couple of times. Greek salad at Giorgios 2 is lovely and quite cheap, and they pit the olives!! A roll for the beach made to order at Melia is very reasonable at €2.50.

D

Rhodes Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
22. Re: Cost of living in Lindos?

Yes, Doris, you can get cartons of white wine too ;-)

Brighton
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Cost of living in Lindos?

I think the extra euro or so on the bits we find we need is worth spending for the convenience for a couple of weeks holiday a year. Use it or lose it as they say

Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Cost of living in Lindos?

We buy 5 litre cartons of white or red wine for € 6.90 from the supermarket.

We switched to these cartons after a visit to Sylvias taverna in Asklipiou.

Having tried a glass of the red wine we asked where it was bought.

Sylvia brought us the carton & said she bought it in the supermarket we use in Afandou

She does her shopping there & says the savings are worth the trip from Asklipiou

Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: Cost of living in Lindos?

"Anyone tried the litre cartons of red wine yet, they only cost a couple of euro's but quite nice"

if you like thin, cheap wine that tastes like alcoholic fruit juice ;-)

I prefer to pay more and drink less as a general rule but it doesn't always seem to work out that way

Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: Cost of living in Lindos?

Strangely enough, when taken with food these cheaper wines from the country of origin, whether it be Greece, France, Spain ... always taste rather good. But the same wines never work over here if you've ever bought anything back home. Perhaps its the combination of food, wine, sun, outside living, sea etc that are the magic ingredients ??

Jarrow
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Cost of living in Lindos?

Hey Denise, I should have said they they do white wine too, I don't think they do Rose' though... Mrs R also likes a glass of wine or two before we venture down into the village for the night and the LITRE cartons @ £1 each is a bargain in my book, it certainly beats paying €3-4 per glass at any bar!

Stonehouse scotland
Level Contributor
709 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Cost of living in Lindos?

Hi Andy

We tried the red and white Don Simon cartons- taste was ok apart from the fact it stops your legs working!

Jarrow
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Cost of living in Lindos?

Hahaha, that's the stuff!! if you drink enough of it, EVERYTHING stops working !!

Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
30. Re: Cost of living in Lindos?

Does Don Simon have a high methanol and ethylene glycol content ?