We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Donkeys

Which Lindos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Donkeys

Does anyone know who looks after the welfare of the donkeys, if anyone.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
3,632 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Donkeys

Lots of discussion on this subject in the link below (and other threads)

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g227884-i1327-k4…

Edited: 21 June 2014, 13:26
Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
5,959 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Donkeys

The owners look after the donkeys as it is in their interest.

After all only a fit donkey is any good for working.

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,390 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Donkeys

Hey

Quite right Trev! Someone else who doesnt know jack about the day to day lives of the donkeys and how they are actually treated. Although I believe the mule gyros is proving popular this season.

M

oldbury, west...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Donkeys

And so it begins......

D

Cardiff
Level Contributor
249 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Donkeys

Of course they are looked after. As stated in previous posts, it is in the owners' interests as only a fit animal can work and earn them money.

I agree, it looks rather cruel seeing them trundling up & down Lindos all day but I guess it's quid pro quo ... If the tourists vetoed the donkeys, what would happen to the donkeys? Slaughtered most likely.

Donkeys are beasts of burden, and have been working animals for over 5000 years.

I have never been on one, but that's because I'm such a klutz I'd probably fall off it.

I heard that there is some kind of weight restriction in practice (though I'm dubious, seeing the size of some of the passengers) and also that you know it's a really hot day in Lindos when the donkeys are not working (so owners must be overheating-aware).

Also, spare a thought for the poor handlers going up & down the hill all day alongside said donkeys, and probably for a pittance.

Having said all that, maybe a Donkeys Trade Union mightn't be a bad thing :)

Edited: 21 June 2014, 16:23
Wirral
Level Contributor
6,390 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Donkeys

Hey

Its the little 'donkey crap collector' guy legging it after the donkeys all the way up to the Acropolis who deserves a bloody medal.

M

Semington, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Donkeys

I believe they are only allowed to do so many trips a day. They are looked after well as I've seen them being fed and watered on Krana! We get this debate several times every year!

Dave

Cardiff
Level Contributor
249 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Donkeys

Also, I hope all the non-vegetarian donkey lovers are equally worried about the welfare of the animals they are eating.

Wonder if many are checking the provenance of the meat on the menus around Lindos ... Or even back home?

Edited: 21 June 2014, 16:29
Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Donkeys

We stayed at Lindos View and as you probably know lots of the donkeys are tethered on the land opposite. One of the donkey owners had 3 donkeys. He took 2 off every morning and left the other tethered all day every day on a 5 foot rope. We used to buy carrots and apples from the shop and feed him. These donkeys obviously aren't starved, the owners wouldn't be that stupid. Our concern was that this particular donkey had a large open wound under his eye that was infected and covered in flies and was getting larger by the day. These particular donkeys also had no shelter and the one left behind will no doubt still be left there day in and day out in the incredible heat right through the summer. Beasts of burdens they may be but there is more than one way of being cruel to animals besides starving them!

Cardiff
Level Contributor
249 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Donkeys

Hey, I buy carrots for the donkeys too!! And I also do voluntary work for cats welfare in the UK and donate to loads of animal charities.

Just saying they are working animals, same as we all are too.

I don't know if there is a donkey welfare society in rhodes, but seeing as you have the same access as we all do to internet and holidaying in Rhodes, maybe you could find out? Or maybe take a tube of savlon down to the donkey? I've done that with loads of injured dogs in Goa before now ... Which, by the way have no one looking after them and as they serve no useful purpose are usually culled before the start of the tourist season.