We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wanting to make the most of 1st visit

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
wanting to make the most of 1st visit

Having read many of the forums, I'm now getting very excited about my trip to Lindos in September. We are staying at Ville De Lindos, Realistically how long a walk to town?

Would it be ok to get a bus to Rhodes Old Town?

Where are the nearest shops to buy food, as we are self catering.

Any advice regarding hire of scooters - are the roads safe?

what are the quietest beaches within walking distance?

Are pool towels provided?

Everyone seems to want a map - Do we need one?

There seems to be lots of knowledge out there, I hope it lives up to my expectations.......

Thanks in anticipation.............

Semington, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,785 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wanting to make the most of 1st visit

Hi.

Ville de Lindos is closer to Pefkos than Lindos being situated at Navarone Bay. There is a bus stop nearby where you can get a bus to Lindos/Pefkos/Rhodes. There is a beach about 1 km away by the Lindos Memories/Aquagrand hotels. The nearest shops would be ib Pefkos or Lindos but if you wanted to do a large shop you would have to go to Flavaris just outside Lindos or Carefour at Kiotari. A car would be useful. It would be a very long walk to Lindos but you could get a bus in and taxi back for about 7€. Same for Pefkos.

I have a map of the bars and restaurants in Lindos. If you PM me your w mail address I can send you a copy

Hope this helps

Dave

Edited: 07 July 2014, 22:20
Cheshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wanting to make the most of 1st visit

Thank you very much for your message. We wanted a quiet hotel so hope this means we are not miles from anywhere! I will study the map with interest.

Any other tips much appreciated from fans of Lindos/Pefkos. Thanks

Semington, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,785 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wanting to make the most of 1st visit

Hi.

I got your PM and will reply in the morning. Watching Germany destroy Brazil at the moment!

Dave

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
42 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wanting to make the most of 1st visit

Hi,

Quite simply, you will LOVE Lindos! Ive been going since I was 6 years old (im now 36) been around 10 times and im going back in September. Ive been lucky enough to have visited a fair few places on my travels (Majorca, Ibiza, Portugal, Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Fuerteventura, Kos), but nowhere compares to Lindos! Everything about the place, the people, food, beaches, bars, shops, weather is first class, its a very magical wee place. My parents go every year (sometimes twice) and have been around 35-40 times, they are like locals now, they know almost everyone in the village!

Id recommend going to Pallas Beach (the smaller one of the 2) which has sunloungers (payable) and some really nice restaurants along the front, and some shops, you even get sunlounger service from some of the restaurants! The sand and water here is amazing, try snorkling out too. Dont be put off by the step hill to/from this beach, its worth the 10 min walk!, and you can always get a donkey back up!

Restaurant wise in the village I dont think there's a bad one. My favourite is Ambrosia, owned by George and his wife, the service, atmosphere and food is fantastic, its also rated no.1 on here. Afterwards pop over to Giorgios for a cocktail! Some of the bars are stunning, they'd rival anything in the UK.

The roads are safe enough to hire a car or scooter, you'll get around the whole island in less than a day, Rhodes Town is a must, very historical and beautiful. Id recommend a trip up to the Acropolis by Donkey! Go in the morning or late afternoon though cos its roasting midday.

Ive not met anyone who's not enjoyed Lindos and fell in love with the place. My first time was in 1985 with my parents, they came back to the village we stay in Fife and told some of their friends, and some of them have also been going for the past 30 odd years. One of my friends got married out there a few years ago and 40 + of us from Fife travelled out for it, the locals didnt know what hit them when they seen all these guys in kilts walking through the village!

Im sure you'll enjoy it as much as I do

Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wanting to make the most of 1st visit

Sc0tlander

' you'll get around the whole island in a day '

Maybe, but you wont see very much.

For example Old town will keep you occupied for at least 2 days.

yes you could drive around the coast in a day but not see the interior. Or stop anywhere long enough to experience the real Rhodes away from the resorts

wrexham
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wanting to make the most of 1st visit

i agree with the comment you will need at least 2 days to take everything in around old town.but in my opinion this is a must do for visitors to rhodes

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
42 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wanting to make the most of 1st visit

Suppose it all depends on personal choice and how much you want to see and how much time you want to give seeing it. Ive been around the island by hiring a car from 9am until 8pm and seen all of the coast (inc a few hours in Rhodes Town, which admitedly requires more time if you really want to explore it, but I was fortunate enough to have done that a few years previous) and some of the inland. But I guess hiring a car for 2 days would give you more time to explore.

I could still spend hours/days exploring Lindos to be honest

8. Re: wanting to make the most of 1st visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2015, 05:15