We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lindos in winter.

Manchester uk
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lindos in winter.

Hi everyone.

Does anyone know the best (and cheapest) way to fly to Rhodes from Manchester during the winter.Would it be more economical to fly Easyjet to Athens and get a transfer to Rhodes airport via Olympic.....or get a scheduled flight direct???

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lindos in winter.

I don't think you can get a scheduled flight direct, you couldn't last time i flew out in the winter anyway.

You would have to fly to Athens and then catch a flight to Rhodes. A few years since i last did it but as i remember if you book both flights Olympic there's a walkway through to the domestic airport from International Arrivals. If you fly to Athens by another airline you have to get a taxi to the other airport though it's only a short/cheap distance so i'd just go with whoever offers the best price.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lindos in winter.

"If you fly to Athens by another airline you have to get a taxi to the other airport"

Absolutely not.

As i guess you haven't passed by Athens through the past 5 - 6 yrs :)

This used to be the situation back in 2000, when "Helinikon" old airport was operating. Nowadays, there is only one totally new, shiny airport in Athens "El. Venizelos", where all airlines ( international and domestic ) and all companies are operating in the same terminal, under the same roof. Terminal is absolutely walkable.

If you cannot find charters directly to Rhodes, going via Athens on EasyJet is a clever way to do it. Then connect to a flight to Rhodes but using Aegean airlines. Aegean is better from Olympic ( although in such short flights good and better is practically the same), while Aegean offers low fare options for early bookings. Its site refers 19 days before for a low fare, but practically, since all low fare tickets are vanished so late, you may want to book 50 - 60 days in advance.

www.aegeanair.com/aegeanen/home/index.asp

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lindos in winter.

Well that makes things alot easier. When i flew via Athens it was for work and would have been several years ago. I'd try Aegean if did the trip again, Olympic made Ryanair look chic!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,912 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lindos in winter.

BA from H'row or Gatwick can be cheaper than Easyjet to Athens, worth checking out. I don't think you will find direct scheduled/charters in the winter.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
255 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Lindos in winter.

Hi, last week I was looking into costs from Manchester as we need to fly out before Christmas, cheapest option I could find was Olympic to Athens then Agean airlines to Rhodes.

Are you going to sign your mortgage papers? Reason I ask is that we have been advised to ask our estate agent if they will book us on an inspection trip. The estate agent won't offer you this service but if you request we heard they don't refuse if you've not already been on one - it's got to be worth a try!!

Wendy

West Sussex, UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Lindos in winter.

Hi, we've doing a hop to Rhodes in a couple of weekends, out on Sat & back on Sun. Easyjet came out mega expensive & BA were much cheaper. We leave LHR 7.55am and arrive in Rhodes at 3.50pm, connectingt through Athens. The internal flight is on Aegean. Perfect connection time, not too long to wait but plenty of time to connect, even if the BA flight is delayed. Returning on the Sun we leave Rhodes at 4.30pm and we're back at LHR by 9.30, again connecting through Athens.

7. Re: Lindos in winter.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 16:20