We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

overweight lazy people relying on donkeys

liverpool england
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
overweight lazy people relying on donkeys

Ive just read a report on 'allowing donkeys to take the strain' in lindos. Lindos is such a beautiful place but very steep, to see these donkeys struggling in the heat with overweight, overbearing people who have no regard for what the poor animal is going through has put my husband and I off going back to Rhodes. Every night we would walk back to our apartment with a bunch of carrots for these poor worn out animals. Whoever you are, people like you who use & encourage use of these donkeys are encouraging the locals. How would you like someone of your weight or size on your back!

N.Wales UK
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
9,593 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: overweight lazy people relying on donkeys

Totally agree with you!!

We've never been to Rhodes but like you would have been disgusted to see these donkeys treated in such a way.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: overweight lazy people relying on donkeys

I agree too! Same applies for Santorini!

Please don't ride the donkeys!!

As for Santorini, there is no need for riding a donkey, since a very handy cable car can do this job faster, safer and cheaper.

Luton
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: overweight lazy people relying on donkeys

Me too.

I felt sorry for the donkeys too. I always tried to fed them whenever I could.

But to be fair when I went to Tunisa ( I would never go back just because of this ) how they looked after the horses and donkeys was soo sad. They looked after the donkeys in Rhodes far better.

Level Contributor
119 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: overweight lazy people relying on donkeys

I understand your point but is there a weight limit?

I mean come on...

My finacee is 5 ft. and 120 lbs. Any donkey / mule would have no problem with this weight on their back.

Let's not forget they are BRED FOR WORK.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: overweight lazy people relying on donkeys

Theres no weight limit. I've seen some right huge people on their backs and it's just cause they are too lazy to walk up the Acropolis.

It was not the British though. They seem to have far more regard for animal welfare than any other nationality.

Bradford, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: overweight lazy people relying on donkeys

These donkeys are there to work and help make money for the people of lindos ,they are big donkeys and mostly rode by women

and kids ,so not that hard a life ,and they get winters off ,

Bradford, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: overweight lazy people relying on donkeys

These donkeys are there to work and help make money for the people of lindos ,they are big donkeys and mostly rode by women

and kids ,so not that hard a life ,and they get winters off ,

liverpool england
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: overweight lazy people relying on donkeys

thanks for the positive feedback, its really encouraging to know other people are concerned about animal welfare as well. In response to Nick - we have always wanted to go to Santorini as we feel it is probably one of the most beautiful greek islands but have never gone due to the treatment of donkeys. Syrus I am also 5ft & less than 120lbs but felt however that I would be too heavy for the donkey, riding up the steep incline to the acropolis & garfield 4, you are right when you say that these animals are bred to work but you are wrong when you state that most of the people that ride the donkeys are women, and that these animals are large. Like humans, donkeys come in all sizes & we have seen really large men riding donkeys that appear far too small to carry their body weight. If more people protested then surely the locals would find some other means to earn a living!

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: overweight lazy people relying on donkeys

hello,I can see both points of view.

Speaking for myself,I would not ride up on a donkey,because I consider myself too large.(Trust me, I know what I'm talking about)If I can make it up the acropolis anybody can!I would not let my kids ride the donkeys either,as they are fit enough to run up the stairs by themselves (despite 'my legs are tired' and other moans)A promise of ice cream at GeloBlu soon got them moving!

When we were there all the animals in use were the large,mule sized,variety.Not the tiny ones often seen on British beaches and the middle east.

I do worry about tourists who make sweeping statements about "the locals" and their habits.Maybe this is the only way they have to make a decent living....?

In Britain,many domestic animal breeds have died out completely because they aren't 'useful' any more....If the Lindian donkeys are made redundant,they would probably end up in a lot worse situation than they are now.

As a last point,donkeys have quite delicate digestions (unlike say..goats) and feeding without permission is probably not the best idea.

Scotland
Level Contributor
511 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: overweight lazy people relying on donkeys

Hi, I was so upset this year at seeing a certain donkey every day near the Lambis Studios, I decided to contact the donkey sanctuary.

The donkey looked quite old hence the reason it no longer "worked". The owner left it all day and night tied to a fence in the scorching heat with no shelter or water! Every time I tried to feed it, it looked as though it was struggling to eat.

The donkey sanctuary sent one of their contacts over. he discovered the owner had mental health issues and spent time with him helping him to shelter the donkey. He also treated the donkeys teeth (which I was informed were in a very poor condition).

I love lindos and plan to marry there next year, but the only thing I hate to see is those poor donkeys suffering under overweight lazy people who should be walking to try and lose the weight anyway!