We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schools on Rhodes

Thornton, Lancashire
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Topic
Schools on Rhodes

Hello

Does anybody know anything about the schools on Rhodes. Is there an English school, if so where is it. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sarah

rhodes
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Schools on Rhodes

Hi Sarah,

There is an English speaking school can operate private lessons usualy twice a week in the afternoons.The teachers are english and only english students are allowed.Children have to be able to speak english.These are only private lessons for reading and writing no maths etc.

Hope this is useful

Blonde

Thornton, Lancashire
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Schools on Rhodes

Hello Blonde 007

Where on Rhodes do you live? Do you know if any English children have moved to Rhodes and settled into the schools OK?

Thanks

Sarah

essex
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Schools on Rhodes

Hi sarah.

we looked into this last year. We were told by a greek lady that there was an english school in rhodes town, she semed to know quite alot about it, she said that a bus picked that children up and took them there (she was in lardos) but on coming back home we couldnt find out any info at all. I emailed the british embasy out there in the end and was told by them that the only full time english schools are in athens.

I would say if your kids are young it wouldnt take them long to settle if you put them into a greek school, (i assume you are thinking of moving over there) but obviously it would be hard if they were older.

Thornton, Lancashire
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Schools on Rhodes

Hello Cathryn

Yes, he is young he is 3. I know there is an English school on Crete. Like you we cant find any information on the web whatsoever about schools. We are over there in three months so I have been emailing an italian guy who lives in Lindos and his friends all have children that go to school in Rhodes, so I should be able to find out more info then. I know the secondary school is in Rhodes town and that is where they all have to go. It is so difficult trying to find out anything. We are going to a seminar with Savviadis and Associates in a couple of weeks in Manchester. They are the main estate agents on Rhodes. I am going to ask them about the schools and see if they know anything.

Have you given up on the idea of moving or are you still looking into it?

Thanks for your help

Sarah

essex
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Schools on Rhodes

Hi sarah.

Good luck with it all, i know i just came to a dead end totally with it and decided that it wasnt meant to be! I would say though at the age of 3, if your little one went into a greek school he would be fluent within a few months, so maybe you could look at that? Mine is older, 13 now so it was a no go for us without an english school.

We are still gonna move but are looking at spain now, we've just put an offer in on a place so hopefully all will go well.

Thornton, Lancashire
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Schools on Rhodes

Spain does seem the easier option, as they have a lot of English living out there. My friend is just moving to the Costa Calida.

Thanks for your help

essex
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Schools on Rhodes

Come back and let us know if you do find out any info, i'd be interested to hear if you did find a school.

And all the best for you!

rhodes
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Schools on Rhodes

Hi Srah,

Three years old is an easy option.Put him straight into greek school.

I live in Afandou there are more than 40 english /german girls here.

My good frind put her children in school at the age of 8 and 6 and they picked it up no problem.

I have two boys my first now 7 did not speak any greek till he started greek school as i only taught him english.Now he is one of the top of his class.

He could start paly group and there he would pick up greek words etc.Nearly all play groups have some english kids as there are so many of us here.

There is also a private school in rhodes costs 6000 euros a year and loads of english kids go there.

My 2nd son will be three in May and he spaeks more english than greek he goes to playschool in Kolymbia.

You really won't have a problem.

Any more info let me know

Blondex

Thornton, Lancashire
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Schools on Rhodes

Hi Blonde 007

This is great information. Thanks alot for all this.

The thing that worries me is he might be the only English in his class and he would not be able to talk to anyone. What age do they go to school in Greece? Do they have playgroups all over the island?

Thanks for your help

Sarah

Thornton, Lancashire
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Schools on Rhodes

Hi Blonde007

Are you and your husband English? How long ago did you move out to Rhodes? Do you and your husband work? If so what do you both do. How much does play group cost in Rhodes?

Thanks

Sarah