We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days in Camogli

British Isles
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
6 days in Camogli

We are spending a holiday in Camogli in mid September and for budgeting purposes wonder if you can give us some indication of prices for daily outgoings.

For example ,a reasonable dinner for two, a bottle of local wine to wash it down, beer in a local taverna, bus fares, say to Portofino.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days in Camogli

Last year I spent a week in Sestri Levante a bit further down the coast making a day trip to Camogli which you will find will be a great base , altho a bit too hilly for me!

I think it is easier by making comparisons with UK prices. Buses are very cheap just 1-2 E for most journeys but I think you will find you will use the train more than the buses being based in Camogli. The train and fare structure is quite complicated , rather like the UK. The Regional trains that you will use for your local trips are cheap by our standards but no day returns only single tickets which are valid for a set period of time. You have to make sure you validate them before you get on a train at a yellow machine as you enter the platforms.

For a trip to Portofino there is a local ferry to San Fruttuoso where the main ferry to Portofino ends. Suggest you get that around to Portofino and return via Santa Margherita where you can get a train back to Camogli. The classic view of Portofino is from that ferry. I currently have it as the screensaver on my PC.

Drinks and meals out are definately somewhat dearer than the UK. A small beer will be around 5E as are most drinks. Bottles of wine as in the UK vary a lot but there did not seem to be many special offers. Italian main meals are a bit complicated with up to four courses. Pasta dishes are cheap and of course good but meat and particularly fish are expensive and do not come with vegetables which are extra. If you are a couple it is quite comon to split the first or pasta course. The problem I found being on my own that you could get full on the first and pasta course and not want a lot more !

You will find after a couple of days how to read there menus and be able to pick and mix . I must admit I do love Italian food and it is one reason I am going back to Lucca later this year!

I see you are a rambler I used to be very active and where you are going is a great place for walking, now in my eighties I only just potered around. Have a great trip I am sure you will enjoy Camogli. PM me if you have any queries.

Liguria, Italy
Level Contributor
752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days in Camogli

If you can find an apartment or hotel room with kitchen facilities, you will certainly save a lot of money.

Camogli has 2 streets. One has a sea view, the other doesn't -- but the one without the sea view is usually cooler in September. The prices of the cafes and small restaurants without the sea view are a bit cheaper than those with a seaview.

I don't know of any local wine worth drinking in Liguria that is less than 18e per bottle in a restaurant. I don't drink beer, so I don't know what it costs. Beer is not outstanding in Italy, with the possible exception of the priciest brands, and imported beers.

A two-course dinner with wine, water, dessert is easily 30e per person. Avoid eating in Portofino. The food is wildly overpriced and not good.

There are few places in Camogli that serve fresh tasty food at low prices: Le Creperie and La Spaghetteria on the sea front, and La Bossa on the upper strret. Il Faro, which is on the upper street, headed out of town toward Recco, is also a bit cheaper than most seafood places. If you stick to a lunch of salad at Bar Primula you needn't spend a fortune (skip the pizza). Otherwise, it is worth spending the few extra euros to eat well: La Rotunda and Rosa's and Vento Ariel tend to be reliable.

Round trip train tix usually run you about 5 euros. Bus trips, half that. Boat trips, double that. The bus ride from Camogli to Rapallo is beautiful. It is very much worth heading to Chiavari for cocktails in the early evening and dinner at Luchin (closed Sunday and quite cheap. Eat farinata. Go by 7:15pm to get a seat outside).

It is always a bad idea to order meat dishes in Camogli or pizza. If you can't face another plate of pasta or fish, head to Bar Primula for a salad or Le Creperie for a nice crepe with eggs, ham and cheese. The shop Antico Borgo is the place to go for sliced meats and cheeses if you want a picnic. The bakeries have nice breads and snacks. Otherwise, steer clear of take-out foods unless you shop for them in other towns (Pestarino in Santa Margherita Ligure, Tossini in Recco, anyplace in Chiavari or Rapallo that looks good to you). A trip to the covered market in Genova is fantastic (closed Sundays and always closed for the long lunch hour).

Best gelato is in Rapallo at Frigidarium. In Camogli, La Primula tends to be best, but none is as great as Rapallo.

Edited: 02 July 2012, 21:49
British Isles
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days in Camogli

Many thanks to your 2 contributors for their very detailed information.

As this will be our first visit to this region it will be most helpful.

4. Re: 6 days in Camogli

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Camogli