We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going to rome in five days with 2 teenagers-

New Vernon, New...
8 posts
Save Topic
going to rome in five days with 2 teenagers-

hi,

i just want some help on keeping 2 teenagers busy. i dont how many museums i can get the kids to do.

so any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

tatiana

Alghero
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: going to rome in five days with 2 teenagers-

trickimiki,

I suspect that you intended this for the Rome forum?

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
160 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: going to rome in five days with 2 teenagers-

One place your kids won't mind visiting is the crypt in the cappuccian monks church. I can't remember the exact address (you could google it). It's made up of their skeletons with altars and it really is worth the visit. You only have to pay a "voluntary" contribution to get in and there are no queues worth talking about.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: going to rome in five days with 2 teenagers-

Yes this is in the wrong forum. However, I'll answer it where I found it.

I would give your kids a guide book of Rome that has lots of pictures, and let them tell you what things would most interest them.

Here are a few things that I think would appeal to teenagers.

The Roman Forum and Colosseum.

Hadrian's Market: the world's first (ancient Roman) two-level shopping mall, no longer selling anything.

Castel Sant'Angelo (Vatican City)

Piazza Navona at night

Trastevere in the evening

Ostia Antica (ancient Roman city a very short distance from Rome by commuter train)

Galleria Doria Pamphilj - this is a museum housed in a fabulous renaissance villa which is still privately owned, with a great audio tour narrated by a member of the family. I remember in one of the grand hallways, he mentioned that he and his sister used to roller skate there when they were kids.

The Villa Borghese park, if the weather's nice. See below for the museum.

The two museums most people visit in Rome are the Vatican Museums and the Galleria Borghese. Both of these present some problems if your kids don't like museums.

The Vatican Museums are huge and crowded and the lines are long. I found the visit very trying the first time I was there, and I love art. The only way to see the Sistine Chapel, unfortunately, is by going through the Vatican Museum, but your kids will probably be back in Rome one day and can see it then. The Sistine Chapel is also usually packed like a sardine tin, and I just have a feeling that your kids will appreciate it more when they're adults. I would suggest just going into St. Peter's Basilica at the Vatican. It also has a line, but it's free and the line moves very fast. Inside is Michelangelo's Pietà, which almost makes up for missing the Sistine Chapel.

The Galleria Borghese is a much smaller museum, and it's located inside a large park. You have to reserve a time slot in advance, and you have to be there promptly to collect your tickets half an hour ahead of your appointment. This might cut into your flexibility when travelling with kids. I would skip this one also, unless you or your kids have a great desire to see it. Do see the park though, and there's a chance that, if you want to see the museum on the spur of the moment, they will have a few unsold tickets for the next slot.

The Capitoline Museums are near the Colosseum and the Roman Forum. These mostly specialize in ancient Roman statues, which I think maybe would interest teenagers more than paintings. This and the Galleria Doria Pamphilj are the two museums that I think would be most palatable to kids.

Rome has several world class museums, and there is great art in many of its churches. However, it has much, much more, which makes it a good place to take teenagers.

If you want to see some of the art in churches, my top suggestions would be San Pietro in Vincoli, which has the Moses statue by Michelangelo, and San Luigi dei Francesi, which has several wonderful Caravaggio paintings. These can be quick visits, so your kids probably won't protest. San Pietro in Vincoli is near the Colosseum, but it's hard to find. San Luigi dei Francesi is not far from Piazza Navona.

New Vernon, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: going to rome in five days with 2 teenagers-

thank you.

for all your suggestions.

i didnt mean to post it in the wrong forum.

thanks for being sooooo kind.

tatiana

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: going to rome in five days with 2 teenagers-

Tricki micki -

Replied to this same question in the Rome forum. Please check it out and see if it's helpful to you!

Ciao - LL

Get answers to your questions about Quartu Sant'Elena