We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap things to do with kids (staying at duinrell)

Which Wassenaar hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbles, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap things to do with kids (staying at duinrell)

Hi There,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest activities/days out for a family of 4, 2 children aged 8yrs & 10yrs and we are on a buget.

We are staying at duinrell & apart from the theme park & the water park, i am stuck for things to do...

A few questions, how far is the beach walking? and how do you get to it?

Is there a cheap bike hire place?

Are there any nice walks we could go on?

Where is the nearest Aldi or cheaper supermarket?

Any advice would be great..

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
263 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap things to do with kids (staying at duinrell)

I can't answer most of your questions, but the beach should not be too far, and I'm pretty sure you could rent a bike in the neighbourhood and bike to the beach. You can walk along the beach from Wassenaar to Noordwijk (few kilometers).

There is an Aldi in Wassenaar in de Hofcampstraat, and otherwise in Voorschoten or in Leiden next to the train and busstation there.

Delft, The...
Level Contributor
622 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap things to do with kids (staying at duinrell)

The park has a bicycle rental service.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
90 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap things to do with kids (staying at duinrell)

Go to Google maps, zoom in on the Netherlands and type 'Duinrell'. You will see exactly where Duinrell is. The beach is about 3 km away.

For longer bicycle tours look here: fietsen.123.nl/page/falkplanrouteplanner

All the numbers represent 'knooppunten' ('nods' or 'hubs'). All cycle trains on the map are signposted with the knooppunt numbers, so you only have to write down your knooppunt numbers on a bit of paper and follow the signs with those numbers. You can ride as far as you want to, the whole country has a dense network of cycle tracks (or country roads that are good for bikes).

If you want to go back by train, you'll have to pay 6 euros per bike unless they're foldable bikes (those go for free)

As for walks, you can go hiking in the dunes, too. Anywhere in the dunes is great hiking (and of course you can walk on the beach, too). Pick up this map: dezwerver.nl/kaarten/…

If you want a serious day hike in a typically Dutch landscape (including a windmill on a dike and canals that are much higher than the surrounding meadows) go for this one: recreatiezuidholland.nl/content/…

Start at Station Bodegraven, walk until Hekendorp (taking the westernmost route) and catch a bus back to Gouda there (and train from Gouda) - the entire route will be way too much! Just the first half will be about 14 km and you'll walk on grass most of the time (don't know if that's too much for your kids?) If you really want to try it, contact me so I can give indications (unfortunately hiking trails in Holland are signposted by competing organizations and publishers, so except for some dune or forest areas you can not buy hiking maps that show all existing trails. Most Dutch hikers look for route descriptions on the internet, download them and follow those...)

Belfast, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap things to do with kids (staying at duinrell)

i was at dunreill last year and im going this year and when i went to the beach wif my family we walked and the women said it took 15 mins and it took us like 2 hours :(

5. Re: Cheap things to do with kids (staying at duinrell)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 22:17