We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to get Lofoten to Trondheim

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
best way to get Lofoten to Trondheim

What is most economical way to get from Lofoten (Svolvaer) to Trondheim? Also what is length of driving time?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to get Lofoten to Trondheim

Most economical: plane or ferry to Bodø. From Bodø take the train to Trondheim. Expect a day of travel. You can also take the train at night from Bodø, and sleep the way down to Trondheim. Either in a cabin or in chairs.

Alternatives are flying to Bodø and continue flying down to Trondheim. Or take hurtigruten(coastal steamer) all the way down from Lofoten to Trondheim.

All these routes have in common that you will have a stop in Bodø.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bod%C3%B8

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,353 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best way to get Lofoten to Trondheim

More than 12 hours of net driving, so you should at least calculate two full days of driving. Travel alternatives are as before, by Hurtigruten, by air or by own car. I think we have established now that driving would be the most economical with 4 persons travelling.

How much time do you have in total ? I have the feeling that you may try to cover too much within a short timeframe. Numerous trip reports have told me it is a very common mistake to do.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way to get Lofoten to Trondheim

This is one example where I think public transport may be cheaper than driving.

Express boat Svolvær-Bodø is NOK 333 pp (www.torghatten-nord.no/english/default.aspx), train Bodø-Trondheim, tickets at NOK 199 when booked at http://www.nsb.no/ exactly 90 days in advance.

Driving time is around 12-13hrs. on E6 with ferry Svolvær-Skutvik. However, if you choose to drive, the coastal highway 17 is much more scenic, will require 3 days.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best way to get Lofoten to Trondheim

Response to post 2.

Actually its not clear that its cheaper to rent a car than using public transport.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g190464-i2312-k4…

If you read my rather clumsy reasoning number 8 in the thread above, you will see that taking hurtigruten fram Lofoten to Tromsø includes one sleepover in the price. The same is true with taking the night train. The time spent on the train is a time NOT spent in some hotel etc.

So to compare prices, one also must take into account the money saved on not booking some overnight stay elsewhere.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,353 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best way to get Lofoten to Trondheim

Sorry, my mistake. Forgot about the train......

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best way to get Lofoten to Trondheim

No reason to be sorry, klima, none of us remember everything all the time!

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best way to get Lofoten to Trondheim

I have it reversed (I am really going north) but I have allowed 2 days transit from Trondheim to Lofoten, then overnighting 3 nights Lofoten. Going to Tromso, then 3 nights Alta & area then flying to Oslo. I am leaning toward flight Trondheim to Svolvaer for $258 and then renting car (biting the bullet) to Alta.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best way to get Lofoten to Trondheim

You can find air tickets Trondheim-Svolvær starting from NOK 950 ($180), but the cheapest tickets often involve a longer stopover in Bodø.

You should allow 2 days for the drive Lofoten-Alta with stopover in Tromsø.

I am curious why you plan to spend 3 nights in Alta. Apart from the rock carvings there is not much to see or do there in summer. Do you plan to fish for salmon in the river?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,353 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best way to get Lofoten to Trondheim

Doing both North and South is already an ambitious plan so it may pay to narrow down your itinerary. I think that would allow for a more relaxed holiday and less time wasted in transit. Perhaps do your driving in a loop to avoid drop-off fees and make the most of your car rental by including the scenic roads.

I was also puzzled about the Alta bit. You can just as easily fly back to Oslo from Bodø or Tromsø. Or even take the train from Bodø via Trondheim to Oslo. The discounted train tickets are one of the few real travelling bargains Norway has to offer.

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best way to get Lofoten to Trondheim

We are wanting to be in the Arctic Circle / Lapland area - might even head up to North Cape & also Kirkastok(sp?). Your point is very well taken though - we might as well drive south a bit to Tromso then take train for fly from there. Thanks. Do you have a link for train schedules?

Get answers to your questions about Svolvaer