We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to get Lofoten to Trondheim

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Svolvaer hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
best way to get Lofoten to Trondheim

What is most economical way to get from Lofoten (Svolvaer) to Trondheim? Also what is length of driving time?

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: best way to get Lofoten to Trondheim

Thanks - Yes, we plan 2 days to Alta, overnighting in Tromso.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: best way to get Lofoten to Trondheim

North Cape is 3,5hrs. drive from Alta, possible as a day trip, but not worth the drive IMO. If you are interested in Sami people and culture you could visit the the Sami towns Kautokeino (2hrs. drive from Alta) and Karasjok (3hrs. drive).

The train network in Norway only reaches as far north as Bodø. You will find time tables and booking at http://www.nsb.no/

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: best way to get Lofoten to Trondheim

Thanks Iver for that information on Sami towns because we are interested in the North, 3 of us having living in Northern Canada several years. I realize though that you don't get to know or observe a culture in 2-3 days. Any other info (towns, etc) as such, is so very much appreciated. Karasjok was on our list as a day trip. I though N.Cape might be awesome as we'll be there approx Jun 21 - mostly for the "sentiment"!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,203 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: best way to get Lofoten to Trondheim

If you have the weather gods on your side, North Cape can be magic in the midnight sun. But it is very often foggy out there - and I am not exaggerating. The bleak coastal parts of county Finnmark are very different from the lush and green landscapes further south around Lofoten. The inner parts of Finnmark are flat (and mosquito ridden they say) and very much a contrast to the rugged and mountainous Lofoten and surroundings. In Kautokeino and Karasjok I think you can get a general idea of the culture as it is a part of everyday life through language, food, arts and crafts. Sadly, I have not been to Northern Canada so I could not compare.

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: best way to get Lofoten to Trondheim

Thanks Klimafly - I' ll be Alta/North Cape June 21-22 so yes, would be great if Midnight Sun evident in non-foggy weather!! :)

16. Re: best way to get Lofoten to Trondheim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2014, 22:15
Get answers to your questions about Svolvaer