We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local knowledge help

bristol
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Topic
local knowledge help

Hi,

i am looking for some one with local knowledge of the faro to villamoura area , just spent a week in villamoura with the wife ( was superb ) but my hobby / interest is walking so i thought for a long weekend i would fly over on the 25th nov and walk up to the vilamoura area , however im hoping someone on here has local knowledge of perhaps a coastal road as would be much better than walking up the main road / dual carriageway to villamoura

Regards

Kev

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,870 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: local knowledge help

There is no road along the coast but there is the Ecovia bike and walking path

http://www.ecoviasalgarve.org/

Their website is only in Portuguese but has maps etc. Look out for the signs along the way.

It´s fairly easy to walk a good distance as it is mostly flat. But it passes by most of the towns and villages so take some water etc with you. It's ok along most of the route to get back to Vilamoura on the bus.

uk
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: local knowledge help

Hi, your taking your life in your hands walking along those busy roads. My daughter and her friends walk from Dunas Douradas along the beach to Vilamoura there are plenty of lovely restaurants and bars along the way. The beach in fact from Vilamoura stretches right down to Faro airport so if you want to go on an exceptionally long walk get on the beach from Vilamoura and aim towards Quarteria, then Vale Do Lobo, then Dunas Douradas, then Quinta Do Lago then Faro.

I have 20 odd years of experience in the area so let me know if you want any other information.

Kind Regards

Marygolf

bristol
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: local knowledge help

Hi Mary ,

Thanks for the advice , i agree dont really want to walk the roads to villamoura ,

the beach walk or the or the path would be ideal ,

i am planning to walk to villamoura spend 1 night there then walk back ,

( sad i know but love doing that type of thing ) i am arriving at faro at approx 1730 on the friday 23 nov, so would be looking to get a couple hours of walking in before finding somewhere to stay ( so are there many apartments within the first 2 hours walking from the airport along the beach ) then the next day ( the saturday) i will either walk to villamoura or a tad further depending on time etc,

can u walk further along the beach to vale de carro as i have stayed there before and think there are plenty of cheap apartments where i could stay for the saturday night , then guess what , i do it all in reverse on sunday back to the airport ( happy days ) so as much info as poss mary would be superb

Regards Kev

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,183 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: local knowledge help

Hi Shades-5, I live in Vilamoura and hope you don't mind me jumping in.

Walking the beach is a nice idea. Preferably with low tide, which makes the walk much easier. If you visit http://www.visitalgarve.pt/ you can find the monthly guide under 'downloads'. It has a tide table in it.

When you arrive it will be dark and it is absolutely not a good idea to walk the beach!! Beaches are monitored after sunset re. drugs-business. A friend of mine thought it was nice to walk the beach after sunset and encountered the police who were very clear in sending him away.

Also not a good idea to walk along the main roads at night time. It's simply not safe. Maybe best if you take public transportation or a transfer service to Vilamoura (or where ever you are planning to stay) and use day light the next day for walking.

Otherwise, for future walks, I'd like to refer to a nice booklet the tourist information sells "trails in the Algarve". It's also available as a download through this site: carvoeiro.com/pdf/TrailsInThe%20Algarve.pdf

bristol
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: local knowledge help

Thanks so much fthw , all the info i get can only help , this is a new adventure for me but one i am really looking forward too , are the roads really that dangerous at night , muggers or cars , didnt really want to do n e transport but commonsense will prevail ,if worse things i will get a transfer to albifu or vale de carro and walk bact to the airport over 2 days in daylight hours , so can u walk from vale de carro or albifu to faro all along the beach or will i have to use road , thanks to all for all the info so far , the more info the merrier , looking for cheap digs fri / sat aswell

kev

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,183 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: local knowledge help

What you could do is go to Ilha de Faro, very close to the airport, and stay the night there. (take a taxi, they are cheap)

Not much will be open in November though. Maybe hotel Aromar.

Then walk from there in daylight to Vale do Carro. Only when you get to Vilamoura, you will have to walk around the Marina area and catch up the beach at the West side. Continue walking to Olhos d'Agua, you can get off the beach at one of the first beach hotels. All together it won't be that far walking, you can go down the first day and come back the next. Rates will be fairly low in November but much will be closed as well.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,870 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: local knowledge help

You can walk all the way along the beach (in daylight) from Olhos D'Agua to Vilamoura Marina, then round the marina through town and back to the beach as mentioned above. Or you can follow the road through Açoteias and Rocha Baixinha then the path for a mile or so until you get to the footbridge across the river and into Vilamoura that way. the path isn't signposted in any way but it's easy enough to follow.

Then into Quarteira, then Vale do Lobo and Quinta do Lago but after that it isn't possible. The Ecovia I mentioned then has to cut a little way inland because of the marshes and eventually comes out not far from the airport.

Unless you are super rich don't even think of staying in Vale do Lobo or Quinta do Lago. Quarteira would be fine.

If the tide is very high it does cover the beach just east of Quarteira, so watch out for that. The most awkward part is just east of Olhos D'Agua,where you can walk round the base of the cliff at low tide but I wouldn't advise that in November. There is a rough and very steep path over the cliff to the next beach. The whole area is very prone to erosion (it's sandstone) and some bits of teh paths along the clifftop have recently fallen into the sea. You need to pay attention.

bristol
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: local knowledge help

Hi all ,

still planning my walk from faro to albufiera ,

am prob gonna stay in faro in the centre , just wondering if someone in the area could work out of many km it is from the centre to hotel santa eulalia , on the estrada de albufiera , either by road or if poss beach to vale de carro thenroad

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,183 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: local knowledge help

According to Google maps it's 6h36 from Faro Centre to Santa Eulalia.

This is along the EN125 road.

You can walk back to Faro Island, near the airport and then along the beach all the way to Club Med de Balaia hotel near Olhos de Aqua. There with the tides you may not be able to continue so you have to walk up to the track there, take the Rua da Praia Maria Louisa to Estrada de Albufeira. All together about 6 hours. This does not include any stops.

If it's too far you can always walk as far as Quarteira and from there continue by bus: http://www.eva-bus.com/novo/index.php?lang=uk

Edited: 25 September 2012, 15:55
Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
3,829 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: local knowledge help

Shades, suggestion......if you are up by Albufeira old town there are some nice walks past there, lovely coves below ( don't get to near the edges!) you can stay at the Sol E Mar hotel right on the beach for £15 a night for you dates. ( travel republic )