We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tivioli Marina Vilamoura in September with 3 year old?

Dublin
Level Contributor
81 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Tivioli Marina Vilamoura in September with 3 year old?

Hi

Looking for some advice regarding picking a hotel in Vilamoura. We've picked Vilamoura due to the short flight time from Dublin and it appears to be one of the nearest resorts to Faro airport.

We are planning a week long trip from 7th September this year. Our daughter will be 3 years of age then and it will be her first sun holiday.

I like the idea of being near the marina for walks, eating out etc and having easy access to the beach, so was looking at the Tivoli Marina. Would this be a suitable hotel for a 3 year old? if so, any particular type of room recommended? I would hate to arrive and for it to be full of adults and my daughter to be the only noisy toddler there :-)

I guess a lot of our time will involve building sandcastles and the pool - will the weather then still be hot enough for this? In saying that I would rather that the weather wasn't scorching hot for my daughter so could go later in the month if that would be better.

I have also looked at Crowne Plaza but read some reviews / forum posts about certain rooms only being available on the smoking floor. This has confused me a bit when pricing a room as rooms seem to be called different names on different booking websites (we're non smokers). The Lake Resort looks lovely but it's a bit more expensive.

Any thoughts / suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,181 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tivioli Marina Vilamoura in September with 3 year old?

September is an excellent month (if you can choose mid september, that would suit you best). I find it the very best month of the year. While the temperatures are still great, the crowds will have gone but it still will be lively enough. And yes, it will still be warm enough but not unbearable.

All hotels you've mentioned are close to the marina, the Lake Resort being on the West side, which is the quietest. I can't tell you which hotel would be most suitable for your daughter, but surely others will jump in.

You could have a look at: http://www.trivago.ie for a price comparison.

Prestonpans, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tivioli Marina Vilamoura in September with 3 year old?

We have Just booked the Tivoli for September , ( for a family wedding ) We have a four year old , it has a good kids pool , there are some play areas , a kids club & a play room . I too was worried about going with a Child and my son being the only one , but there is facilities for children . As for location Tivioli is a 10 minute drive from the marina , the Tivioli has a free shuttle bus and I believe it is about 7 euros in a taxi !

Dublin
Level Contributor
81 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tivioli Marina Vilamoura in September with 3 year old?

Hi Monarchs

Thanks for info. That hotel sounds like it might be Tivoli Victoria (shuttle to Marina and beach) rather than Tivoli Marina (right on the Marina I believe) but I have been looking at that hotel too and it looks lovely. Still trying to decide. There are some lovely hotels away from the Marina area but trying to decide if I would rather be able to just walk there and back or get shuttles or taxis for meals out etc. Thanks again!

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,181 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tivioli Marina Vilamoura in September with 3 year old?

Tivoli Marina is right at the marina and the beach. You don't need a car there.

Tivoli Victoria is a newer construction and is near the Victoria golf course, and not near the beach. There's not much going on there. You will need a car or taxis when you go out for meals.

Hope that helps.

Prestonpans, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tivioli Marina Vilamoura in September with 3 year old?

Sorry I just noticed it was Marina you asked about !! We were also. Looking at the Four Seaons Vilamoura is a bit out of town .

Dublin
Level Contributor
81 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tivioli Marina Vilamoura in September with 3 year old?

Hi FTHW

Thanks for both your posts. Definitely leaning more towards hotels around the Marina so we can just wander around by foot. The price of a junior suite in Vila Gale Ampalius has caught my eye and it appears to be quite near to The Marina and beach. Might mean more room for our daughter etc. Decisions, Decisions.....going to book somewhere by the end of the week though.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,181 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tivioli Marina Vilamoura in September with 3 year old?

Four Seasons is 15 min. walking from the Marina. There's a little roadtrain which passes Four Seasons and the Marina on it's way to the beach.

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
3,827 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tivioli Marina Vilamoura in September with 3 year old?

Ampalius is set just back from the beach and is a 5 min walk to the marina. excellent location. Tivoli marina ... One side is directly onto the beach and the other side is directly onto the marina.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,181 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tivioli Marina Vilamoura in September with 3 year old?

Stars:

Ampalus 4*

Tivoli Marina 5*

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tivioli Marina Vilamoura in September with 3 year old?

We stayed in the Tivoli Marinotel in February 2007. It is located right on the marina and there is a small beach backing onto the hotel that is reached by a gate from the pool area. The larger Falesia beach is the other side of the marina.

It sounds to me like it would be perfect for what you're looking for.