We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Vilamoura - Airport transfer or Rent Car from Far

Which Vilamoura hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
5 posts
Save Topic
First Time Vilamoura - Airport transfer or Rent Car from Far

Hi All,

Me, wifey and 2 year old are coming to vilamoura for first time on a 5 day trip over Easter. for .Our flight reaches Faro in the evening. I am bit confused about whether to book a airport transfer or rent a car. We want a bit of flexibility in moving around vilamoura and nearby places specially with baby so think car makes sense but if parking is a big issue than we might as well take airport transfer and take taxis whenever needed. What do you recommend? Also, is Faro to vilamoura straightforward by own car? Which rental cars are better?

Also, is it mandatory to have a car seat for 2 year old in car?

Any help is much appreciated?

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,133 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Vilamoura - Airport transfer or Rent Car from Far

If you want flexibility in moving around, yes, do rent a car!

Parking won't be a big issue. Around Easter it may be a somewhat busy but nothing to worry about parking! Where are you going to stay?

Faro airport - Vilamoura is a very easy straight forward 30 min. drive.

Go to Google Maps and type in Faro airport, Portugal. Then use the 'get directions' tab on the left and type in your address in Vilamoura. Check "avoid highways/tolls" and you will get a route description. On the route description you will see a little yellow man, you can use this (click on it) to get street view, so - if you like - you can see every turn-off to familiarize yourself.

Car seat for 2 year old is mandatory.

For car rental have a look at Zitauto.

Hope that helps.

London
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Vilamoura - Airport transfer or Rent Car from Far

Thanks a lot FTHW for the quick reply. I was exploring economoycarhire, europecar, budget cars etc as suggested by other in the forum. But will try Zitauto as well

Does the car seat comes while you book or can be collected at the rental company office in airport? We will be staying at the Lake and Spa resort. I think they do provide parking so parking there shouldn't be an issue.

As we are vegetarians ,any tips on good veggie restaurants around the area? Also, any big super market near our hotel where we can get stuff for our 2 year old?

Lastly, I had read somewhere in forums in old topics that there were some kind of muggings happening last year...

Is it still the same case? We want to be safe, any thing specific to watch out for?

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,133 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Vilamoura - Airport transfer or Rent Car from Far

Check out with the car rental about the car seat. Usually you can notify them and it will be in the car. All car rental companies can provide them.

The Lake Resort is a wonderful hotel and parking there is no problem whatsoever!

Since you will have a car the best supermarket to go is in Quarteira, which is adjacent to Vilamoura. It's called Pingo Doce. If you go to Google Maps, the coordinates are:

37.077495,-8.094027

Google maps streetview for that location is not up to date. The supermarket was built after streetview did it's job.

A supermarket closer to your hotel is Jafers, Google Maps coordinates: 37.078861,-8.115694

Another one, a bit further away but still walking distance is Spar: coordinates: 37.080894,-8.113457

You will be safe, just be cautious as usual.

Veggie restaurants: a lot of restaurants have vegetarian dishes. Veggie restaurants you can find in Loule and Faro (no problem if you have a car).

Here's a link for Loule: tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g189118-…

and for Faro: http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=5397

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time Vilamoura - Airport transfer or Rent Car from Far

Hi, I have been visiting Vilamoura regularly for the last 11 eleven years both as a family and now just with my wife as my children are now grown up.

I have never seen any kind of trouble in the resort. I go about 3 to 4 times a year.

As FTHW states be cautious and just do what you would normally do at home.

5. Re: First Time Vilamoura - Airport transfer or Rent Car from Far

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2014, 04:17
Get answers to your questions about Vilamoura