We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insect bites from the beach

Which Vilamoura hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Insect bites from the beach

Hi

I'm currently staying in almancil however during the day on the beaches (loule, quarteira and vilamoura) I'm getting bitten to shreds! Does anyone know anything I can buy locally to try and prevent this as its starting to ruin my holiday due to the way i react to the bites and I still have 10 days left.

Thanks in advance

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,157 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Insect bites from the beach

Go to the pharmacy, they'll sell you the best product.

Weybridge, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Insect bites from the beach

Hi Zola

We have been travelling to the Algarve for over 15 years and usually are not bitten very much, but this year with the damp winter / spring the mossies have bred in very high numbers.

I would use Autan spray and get some anti histamines from the pharmacy (be warned though they are about 5 times the price of the UK) .

My wife got a lot of bites this year and the pharmacist suggested in future to take vitamin B complex about a month before travelling to the Algarve next time, apparently the mossies will stay away from you.

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Insect bites from the beach

Are we talking mozzy bites? If so you need to buy a deterrent with 'deet' in. As FTHW said a pharmacy should advise. If you are in Almancil the store Apolonia should also have something on the shelves.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,157 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Insect bites from the beach

Don't experiment, see the pharmacist, they are right on target with their advice!

Weybridge, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Insect bites from the beach

I agree with FTHW, ask the pharmacist, I will warn you though, we spent 80 euros on creams, repellents and tablets. Next them we will bring them with us from the UK

UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Insect bites from the beach

Hi all, thanks for your replies I've got a couple of mozzie bites which I know for sure they are coz they've blistered like they normally do however I've got about 15 other bites mainly on my ankles and my bum of all places and I'm sure they're from the beach, possibly ant bites? The only way I can describe them is like big angry welts! I brought repellent wipes with deet in and yesterday took some autan spray to the beach too but they still managed to get me. Piriton doesn't help the itching either I'm at the end of my tether :-(

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,157 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Insect bites from the beach

Pharmacy is on the main road (Ave 5 do Outubro) at the split to Rua de Calvario.

If you go to https://maps.google.com/ and copy/paste the following coordinates: 37.087321,-8.032798 you'll see where it is (have a look at street view as well). Next door you'll find a coffee shop.

Edited: 19 September 2013, 10:14
Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Insect bites from the beach

Cant be nice but just a thought....Are you sunbathing on a towel directly on the beach? If so suggest try a sunbed, at least you are not directly on beach level then.

Edited: 19 September 2013, 10:15
merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Insect bites from the beach

sounds like sand fly bites

UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Insect bites from the beach

I've been to the pharmacy and got some stronger insect repellent and some cream she says will stop the itching so here's hoping it works! Thanks for all your replies x

Get answers to your questions about Vilamoura
Recent Conversations