We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can anyone make a comparison?????

Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Can anyone make a comparison?????

Hi everyone!

My husband & I (mid thirties) spent two weeks in Villamoura last year, stayed in the Four Seasons in the Old Village. We absolutely loved it. The marina was beautiful, fab restaurants, bars etc. What we loved so much about it was the fact that it wasn't a typical holiday resort/ party central full of tennagers. (Our mad partying days are over so a little more upmarket than a lot of resorts!!!) It was close to Faro airport (which is always a plus!)

Overall we founf it very modern, stylish and relaxed, we felt very safe and loved to stroll around.

While we like to travel, we don't like to retun to the same place (not too soon after anyways!!). My question is can anyone recommend a resort that they found very similiar to Villamoure in Portugal or another counrty, excluding Marbella that might suit our requiments!

Would really appreciate your opinions on this one guys!

Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
The Old Village
The Old Village
74 Reviews
Vilamoura, Portugal
Faro Airport
Faro Airport
Faro, Portugal
Marbella
Marbella
Costa del Sol, Spain
Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,196 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can anyone make a comparison?????

Nice to read you had such a nice holiday. It's not easy to find something similar in Portugal.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can anyone make a comparison?????

It doesnt have to be in Portugal.... Any where thats accessible in Europe!!!!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can anyone make a comparison?????

Around 30 or 40 years ago we use to travel to various Countries, France, Germany, Spain , and many other places ,then we visited the Algarve first visiting Quarteira then making our way to Vilamoura since then we have visited the resort every year since, have tried other places but always go back to Vilamoura.

As FTHW said I dont think there is a comparison anywhere else, the people and varying Landscape always attract many regular visitors.

By all means have a look around but I am sure you will be back.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Germany
Germany
Europe
Spain
Spain
Europe
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
Quarteira
Quarteira
Faro District, Portugal
Vilamoura
Vilamoura
Quarteira, Portugal
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can anyone make a comparison?????

Hi

I am afraid I'm in agreement with FTHW and Flubert regarding Vilamoura, have been coming back there for the last 13 years or so.

The only other resort I have visited on a regular basis is Fiscado in Kefalonia.

This has a harbour with bars and restaurants but is much smaller and older than Vilamoura.

Hope this helps

Mentioned in this post
Vilamoura
Vilamoura
Quarteira, Portugal
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,629 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can anyone make a comparison?????

Perhaps Vale do Lobo or Quinta do Lago? No marinas there but definitely at the higher end of the market. More like California or Florida than Portugal.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 14:22
Mentioned in this post
County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,938 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can anyone make a comparison?????

We love going to the Marina area in Benalmadena, that might be an option for you. There are some lovely restaurants there as well as along the seafront between Benalmadena and Torremolinos. It is quieter than the main strip in both areas.

Mentioned in this post
Benalmadena
Benalmadena
Costa del Sol, Spain
Torremolinos
Torremolinos
Costa del Sol, Spain
London, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can anyone make a comparison?????

Hello, I have not yet been to Vilamoura, however am currently researching it for a holiday this summer. I did enjoy a long weekend in Cascais (near Lisbon) a couple of years back which I would highly recommend.

Perhaps somewhere like Costa Smerelda in Sardinia or Sotogrande in Spain might suit you. Both attract an international jetset crowd and have some upscale accommodation, shopping and dining options. There's also the old reliables like Amalfi coast in Italy, or Cote D'Azur. I am a big fan of Saint-Tropez, which never goes out of style and is delightfully devoid of Starbucks and chavs.

Mentioned in this post
Vilamoura
Vilamoura
Quarteira, Portugal
Cascais
Cascais
Lisbon District, Portugal
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Sotogrande
Sotogrande
San Roque, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Saint-Tropez
Saint-Tropez
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
London, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can anyone make a comparison?????

I forgot to say I'm also reliably informed that Cala D'Or in Mallorca is a lovely destination with a lovely marina and some upscale restaurants and bars, however I have not yet been

Mentioned in this post
Cala d'Or
Cala d'Or
Majorca, Spain
UK
Level Contributor
305 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can anyone make a comparison?????

Playa Blanca in Lanzarote is nice. It has a a marina with nice restaurants, the hotels are good standard, the weather is good and the town area has restaurants all facing the sea. The seafront also has a path that stretches for around 10 miles for the energetic.

We love Vilamoura but have been to Playa Blanca 6 times.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Blanca
Playa Blanca
Lanzarote, Spain
Lanzarote
Lanzarote
Canary Islands, Spain
Vilamoura
Vilamoura
Quarteira, Portugal
Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
163 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can anyone make a comparison?????

I think Lagos further up the coast from Vilamoura is lovely. Very old town with lots of bars/restaurants and a lovely marina which has a few bars & restaurants. Loads of beautiful beaches too.

Mentioned in this post
Lagos
Lagos
Faro District, Portugal
Vilamoura
Vilamoura
Quarteira, Portugal
Get answers to your questions about Vilamoura