We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick hike in Finse?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Quick hike in Finse?

My husband, 10-yr old daughter, and I are traveling from Oslo to Myrdal (then on to Flåm) in early September. My husband heard from a coworker that a hike out of Finse would be good. Is it advisable to get off the train at Finse, hike for about 1 - 1 1/2 hours, then catch the next train on to Myrdal or is that not really enough time? I am also concerned about the weather, though I know that is variable. I am assuming we could find a place to stash the luggage, or is that a bad assumption?

Do you think we need to reserve a place on the train from Oslo more than a day ahead of time? We have a ScanRail pass so don't need to purchase tickets. I was wondering if the early trains usually fill up at that time of year. Would it also be a problem taking a later train from Finse without a reservation?

Thanks for your help! I love all these forums!

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick hike in Finse?

1 to 1 1/2 hour is not a hike, it's a promenade! :)

Finse is next to the glacier Hardangerjøkulen. You should set aside a day and follow a guided tour up to the glacier:

hardangerviddanett.no/joklagutane/…

Finse is situated at a lake. If you really think of just staying a couple of hours, you could walk along the shore for a while and return, or you could folow the road westwards (where the bikers go).

There is also a not too exhilaranting museum at Finse, if you have to kill half an hour.

Oslo
Level Contributor
15,022 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick hike in Finse?

Check the timetable for Finse, not so frequent dep.

Finse is one of the most popular starting points for hikes on Hardangervidda plateau and the surrounding area. Mostly easy walks except the glacier (which you should keep a safe distance from).

September is often a very nice time in the mountains, note however that it can be cool, Finse is at 1222 meters, high altitude in Norway.

YOu can also do hikes from Myrdal station, in the Flåm valley (along the rail line if you wish) or in the Aurland valley nextdoor (full day).

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick hike in Finse?

Thanks for the replies. I had checked the timetable and a train leaves at 1526 and then not again until 2021, so that would give us a total of 3 hrs from the 1225 arrival - maybe we could promenade a little further :-).

We are continuing along the rail to Flåm and spending two nights in Aurland - had planned on getting more hiking done there as well as the fjord cruise to Gudvangen. We are used to altitude since we live at 1600 m (though not at your latitude) and frequently hike above 2700 m.

Is there a place to stash the luggage in Finse while we walk?

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,258 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick hike in Finse?

Yes, there is left luggage:

nsb.no/stations_df/finse-station-article2557…

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick hike in Finse?

Thanks for the station information. I guess I hadn't found that section yet on the nsb page. That will be helpful for my other connections.

Hønefoss Norway
Level Contributor
944 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick hike in Finse?

I believe you have to pay for two travels if you get off somewhere and take next train, because tickets are valid for one specific train, one specific seat in that train. There is no info on this on website, take a phone call.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,614 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick hike in Finse?

I think you can do stopovers on full fare train tickets, but not the "minipris" ones.

8. Re: Quick hike in Finse?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2011, 05:17