We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flam, Jostedal & Fjord tour help!

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Flam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Flam, Jostedal & Fjord tour help!

Hello-

I'm heading to Western Norway in early September and woud love to include the Flam Railway, a glacier hike in Jostedal and a tour of Sognefjord but not sure if I should do tours or on my own. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Oslo
Level Contributor
12,800 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flam, Jostedal & Fjord tour help!

You should certainly not go on the glacier on your own (not even approach it).

http://www.bfl.no/index.php?/en/

The Flåm railway and the Sognefjord you visit by public transport.

http://www.fjord1.no/en/default.asp?page=1568

Chicago
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flam, Jostedal & Fjord tour help!

Thank you for the tips. Do you recommend doing a Flam Railway tour or doing that on my own with my small group? Also do you recommend staying in Balestrand or Sognal for one night before the glacier tour?

Thanks!!

Oslo
Level Contributor
12,800 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flam, Jostedal & Fjord tour help!

Hmm, not sure what you mean. Flåm railway is public transport following a timetable. Purchase tickets at the station.

If you go to Jostedal, Sogndal is more convenient.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
478 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flam, Jostedal & Fjord tour help!

I'm doing a similar trip in August.

I'm travelling from Oslo - Flam by train and spending the night in Flam. From there, the next night I am spending in Balestrand. The next day I'm taking the glacier bus to Jostedal to either a Blue Ice trip or Ice Troll trip (haven't decided yet!) and then catching the glacier bus to Songedal to get a bus back to Bergen.

the Glacier bus doesn't run on weekends from some places (such as Balestrand) so you need to be aware of this. It also won't get you back to Balestrand in time for the express ferry to Bergen, which is why I am having to go to Songedal to get the bus to bergen instead. If you have the time, spending the night in Josetdal might be most convient.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,624 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flam, Jostedal & Fjord tour help!

Info about the glacier bus:

www.jostedal.com/brebussen/eng-index.htm

6. Re: Flam, Jostedal & Fjord tour help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2010, 05:17