We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flam Gudvangen ferry

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Chicago
Level Contributor
106 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Flam Gudvangen ferry

I am trying to book the flam - gudvangen leg of the ferry. As I try to do that on fjord1.no/en I get more than one choice for Flam and Gudvangen both

Flam options: Flam, Flam jb st. (Aurland), Flam kai, Flam krk

Gudvangen: Gudvangen E16 and Gudvangen Kai

what do these E16/Kai/Krkr etc mean? Should I choose just Flam and Gudvangen E16?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,719 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flam Gudvangen ferry

Kai=dock, E16 is the main road, Gudvangen kai=Gudvangen dock

I think you looking at the bus schedules or maybe the express boat routes, you need to choose the tourist routes, then you will get the options of Gudvangen kai and Flåm kai.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,119 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flam Gudvangen ferry

Also see my reply to your duplicate post: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190479-i551-k4637…

Chicago
Level Contributor
106 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flam Gudvangen ferry

[Sorry I posted this on multiple forums, I apologize]

awesome, thanks guys. got the right link with the tourist selection ... now it should all work fine.

I still have that lingering doubt in my mind abt the Gudvangen Voss bus. It leaves at 1540 adn reaches Voss at 1655. And I am supposed to be on the train to Oslo at 1710 which is only 15 mins apart. I dont know what happens in the bus does get delayed a bit.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,719 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flam Gudvangen ferry

I think the bus and the train are meant to be in correspondance and there will be quite a few passengers on the bus intended for the same train as you. In the unlikely event that the bus is delayed a bit, the train will wait. Serious delays will not happen unless there is an accident.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,119 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flam Gudvangen ferry

I only want to support Klima's response above. The bus and the train correspond. No doubt about that at all. The public transport system in Norway is in most cases very well organised.

The bus will stop right next to the railway/train station building in Voss. You cannot get closer to the railway. So no need to worry.

Now, instead of going all the way from Gudvangen to Voss to catch the Oslo train. You could jump on the bus from Gudvangen to Flåm (15-20 minutes) and then take the train from Flåm to Myrdal and continue with the train to Oslo.

Myrdal is just a small train junction in the mountains. If you do a booking on NSB's website you can purchase a through ticket that will give you the optimised combination for the Flåm railway and the Oslo train. There are only a few minutes to change trains at Myrdal station, but it is more than sufficient time to do so. And yes, these trains does correspond as well.

Edited: 12 July 2011, 17:40
Minneapolis...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Flam Gudvangen ferry

Do you feel that all portions of this travel must be booked in advance? IE: the boat from Flam to Gudvangen, the bus from Gudvangen to Voss, the train from Voss to Myrdal, the train from Myrdal back to Flam? We are starting our day in Flam and will want to finish. Is it easy to buy the tickets as you go -- or will we wish to have them all in advance?

THanks, Lisa

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,119 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flam Gudvangen ferry

GGang05,

At what time of the year will you be traveling?

In peak season mid June to mid August you may want to book the fjord cruise between Flåm and Gudvangen. It is hard to give advice here, but pre-booking is possible according to the website (use the e-mail): http://www.fjord1.no/en/default.asp?page=1569

It is not possible to book the bus in advance. Just buy the ticket from the bus driver.

I would book the train in advance. Just buy a through ticket from Voss to Flåm, no need to buy two separate tickets. http://www.nsb.no/?lang=en_US

Chicago
Level Contributor
106 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flam Gudvangen ferry

Guys - thanks a lot for all the responses.

Lisa - I have booked all the legs of the journey except the Gudvangen Voss bus since that I cannot find a way to book it. All reservations are pretty simple to make on the nsb.no website and the fjord1.no website that Pippi referred to.

I am glad to hear that the bus and train timings are scheduled such that one waits for the other, since I was able to book a minipris ticket far cheaper than the Norway in Nutshell websites price for the Voss Oslo leg, and I believe the minipris ticket is not transferrable, so we have to make it to that particular train or else buy a full price ticket.

Minneapolis...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Flam Gudvangen ferry

Thanks everyone. We are flying to Sweden on 8/1 and will be on our driving tour in Norway starting 8/5.... and doing our 'nutshell on Saturday 8/6. I will book our tickets now.... with the exception of the bus portion. THanks again, Lisa

Amsterdam, The...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Flam Gudvangen ferry

How far is the Flam train station to the boat terminal ?