We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stuff to do in Flam for one day.

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
dayton, OH
Level Contributor
254 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stuff to do in Flam for one day.

We will be staying in Flam overnight on our way on NiN from Oslo to Bergen. Will get to Flam around 1500 and leave at the same time next day. Our party will be me and my wife, 7 yr old son and one yr old daughter, I was wondering if someone can help me with what to do in that one day in Flam. Any suggestions/ideas welcome.

Thanks

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,118 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stuff to do in Flam for one day.

Are you planning on doing the fjord cruise on Nærøyfjorden?

Stegastein view point is also recommended.

More info and suggestions on the tourist website for Flåm: http://www.visitflam.com

Edited: 06 June 2013, 02:54
London, England...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Stuff to do in Flam for one day.

You could go on the Flam to Myrdal railway, round trip about 21/4 hours. Great views plus most 7 yr olds love train rides. The afternoons is probably the best time as cruise ships seem to be in dock early morning.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,118 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stuff to do in Flam for one day.

The OP is stopping in Flåm as part of NiN from Oslo to Bergen, so they have to take the Flåm Railway to reach Flåm.

dayton, OH
Level Contributor
254 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Stuff to do in Flam for one day.

Yes we are on NiN so will get to do train ride anyways. I read somewhat about bike rental and bike path going to Aurland is beautiful? any ideas?

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,140 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stuff to do in Flam for one day.

Is there any merit in spending time in Myrdal or should we get the next train down?

We have a day in Flam off a cruise ship. One in our party will be in a wheelchair (she can walk short distances) so hiking is not an option for us.

Thanks in advance for any information

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,118 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stuff to do in Flam for one day.

Myrdal is a rail junction in the mountains with small, small train station and a cafe. It is not a place I would spend time. I would return with the same train as I arrived with, unless you would like to check out the cafe:

http://caferallaren.no/?lang=en

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,140 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stuff to do in Flam for one day.

Thanks Pippi2. As it seems there's quite a wait for the next train after the one we go up on, we will do as you suggest.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,140 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stuff to do in Flam for one day.

Would maybe getting off at Vatnahalsen and having a walk round there then catching the next train back down be a viable option, or would we miss out too much on the final part of the train journey?

9. Re: Stuff to do in Flam for one day.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2014, 05:17