We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flam Train - Advance Reservations

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Blue Bell...
Level Contributor
52 posts
377 reviews
Save Topic
Flam Train - Advance Reservations

So, I'm looking to take the Flam Train on a Tuesday afternoon in July. I know this train can get crowded and sold out. Is there any way to get an advance reservation/ticket for myself (2 people)? I'll be driving in from Lillehammer that morning and expect to get into town at around 1 PM. Any advice on how to go about doing this to ensure I get a spot on the Flam Train to Myrdal and back?

Also, any recommendations on how much time I should spend in Myrdal once there?

Thanks in advance!

-Matt

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flam Train - Advance Reservations

There is no seat reservation on the Flåm train for individual travellers, only for groups of 10p or more. However, if you arrive Flåm at 1300 and can take the train at 1335, there is a good chance that the train will not be crowded. Most cruise passengers take the train in the morning, and the first Nutshell travellers from Bergen come for the 1450 train.

Myrdal is just a railway junction in the mountains, no reason to spend time there. I would rather walk Rallarvegen to one of the stations down in the Flåm Valley, Blomheller or Berekvam.

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…A5msbana_train.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/flam-valley

Edited: 20 June 2013, 06:01
Wellington, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Flam Train - Advance Reservations

Really good advice! We are are in Flam for a day (on a cruise) in August and had abandoned the idea of the railway. We didn't fancy the ship's tour, which was very expensive, where you went to the top and straight back down again (probably packed in like sardines in a can!). However, the idea of going when it is less crowded and then getting off and doing some walking really appeals. Could you recommend any sections to walk or indeed any walks around Flam? Up to two or three hours is no problem - we just have to be careful not to miss our ship's departure!! Many thanks.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flam Train - Advance Reservations

The upper part. from Vatnahalsen to Blomheller, has the most spectacular views, but there's nice scenery all the way. Here's a video of a bike ride Myrdal-Flåm (renting a bike is another option): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0ekJeicOEA

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,012 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flam Train - Advance Reservations

How busy the Flåm Railway is depends on the exact day you are there. Some days there may be 3 cruiseliners in Flåm, and needless to say, the trains are busy well into the afternoon. If you know your date, you can get an idea here for a random Tuesday in July.

https://www.flambooking.com/booking2.aspx

Edited: 22 June 2013, 10:55
Wellington, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Flam Train - Advance Reservations

Many thanks for that tip. I tried several dates as well as the actual date we are in port - our day was the busiest by far. In fact one train had a minus figure for availability!! So I think we will be avoiding the train and the crowds and heading off in our walking boots! So thanks again - we can plan a lovely peaceful (hopefully sunny) day away from the worst of the crowds.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flam Train - Advance Reservations

Does anyone know what happens if you arrive at Myrdal from Bergen and have reservations on the ferry from Flam to Balestrand but can't get on a train to get down to the ferry? We will be doing this and because we are just 2 individuals, we can't reserve ahead of time and hope that tickets will be available. We are arriving before 10 am and the ferry is at 3:30 p.m. Do you think it would be likely we will be able to get a ticket? It will be a Sunday.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,161 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flam Train - Advance Reservations

You can buy a through ticket from Bergen to Flåm on www.nsb.no if you have not already purchased your train ticket.

Wakefield, England
Level Contributor
27 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flam Train - Advance Reservations

Thanks for the booking website information. Checked 20th August and looks pretty full (limited window because of cruise).

Oslo
Level Contributor
172 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flam Train - Advance Reservations

If you would like to make your own way down from Myrdal back to Flåm, but does not fancy walking he whole way I can highly reccommend renting bicycles and bike down. We did that this summer and it was an amazing way to see the nature. We stopped off the cuddle some goats and also to visit the Flåm church (not sure if it is a stavchurch but it is open to the public). You should walk the first 1.5/2km as it is very steep and rocky (there is a track of course) so that you don't get a puncture but the rest is easy downhill, so no need to be super fit.

The whole thing took just over two hours but you can probably do it in 1.5 hours as I am not used to being on a bike and I went very slowly in the steep parts.

Bikes can be rented at Flåm and Myrday. Remember that you need to buy a train ticket for the bike if rented at Flåm.

10. Re: Flam Train - Advance Reservations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 05:16