We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flam to Sogndal airport

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
248 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Flam to Sogndal airport

Is there a public bus connection from Flam to Sogndal airport. We are travelling next June and considering options (and there are so many) in getting around your beautiful country! Our thought is fast ferry from Bergen to Flam, overnight then bus to Sogndal airport to pick up hire car. This is to make the most of the ferry. Otherwise we would have to terminate at Sogndal and overnight there, then pick up car. Anyones thoughts would be most appreciated. Tks

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,268 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flam to Sogndal airport

There are buses between Flåm and Sogndal, from Sogndal itself you need to take the airport shuttle or a taxi.

www.ruteinfo.net

http://www.avinor.no/en/airport/sogndal

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,988 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flam to Sogndal airport

If you need to get to the airport to pick up a rental car, then it is much easier to pick up in Kaupanger instead. Avis offers pick up at the Shell gas station in Kaupanger. avis.no/Bilutleie/…Sogndal-City

e-mail: forde@avis.no

You can take the bus from Flåm to the Shell gas station at Kaupanger.

The service from the local Avis agent in area is from my experience very good.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,268 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flam to Sogndal airport

I tried to edit my post, but was timed out. Advise really depends on your overall plans. Intitially, I would say take the express boat to Sogndal direcetly, but then again, this depends on where you are going by car. IMO Flåm is not really a "must do", it gets very, very busy there in season.

It could also be an option to rent a car in Bergen and take the Gudvangen-Kaupanger ferry for your fjord experience. Car round trips are usually more economical as drop-off charges can be substantial.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,508 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flam to Sogndal airport

There's a bus between Bergen and Sogndal that goes via Flam, upto 6 times a day - nor-way.no/getfile.php/…450.pdf (changes might occur to the schedule, but most likely not). 178 NOK per person (141 NOK per person if you are 2-8 people travelling together = Minigroup)

From Sogndal it's either the airport coach (http://www.ruteinfo.net/RuteinfoIISStaticTables/Tables/ruter/t/26-311.htm - corresponding with flights - 70 NOK/person) or taxi to the airport.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Flam to Sogndal airport

Have you considered getting off the express boat at Balestrand and staying there instead of Flam?. In many ways it is a nicer place and there are local buses to Sogndal.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,988 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flam to Sogndal airport

Like I said, there is no need to go all the way to Sogndal to pick up the rental car (there is no rental car pick up office there). Avis offers pick up in Kaupanger at the Shell station. There is a bus stop right there, ask the bus driver to drop you off. Alternative get off the bus in Kaupanger and take the airport bus from Kaupanger to the airport.

Edited: 19 November 2013, 14:36
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
248 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flam to Sogndal airport

Thank you everyone and so quickly. Thats great re transport links. We always drive in Europe and always one way (trying to fit too much in as usual!) so understand the excessive fee. Thought it might be fun to do part by ferry. Do you think Geiranger ferry to Hellesylt just as pretty/dramatic as Sogndal fjord ferry? I agree with most that the journey is the best part. We will arr. Bergen 7 June then driving and ferry to Alesund then on to Oslo for onward flights. This route is what works best for my husband and I and my daughter and her partner who will be in Scotland at that time!

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,005 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flam to Sogndal airport

If you do the Gudvangen-Kaupanger ferry or Gudvangen-Flåm boat, the Geiranger ferry will be more of the same. I don't think you will be disappointed about Geiranger, but these fjords are very similar (so similar that they are often mixed up).

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,268 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flam to Sogndal airport

If you plan to do one way rental anyway, do consider renting a car in Bergen, the selection of cars would be much better and probably the prices also. In Norway one way car rental can double your car rental expenses - I think one way between Bergen and Trondheim would be the most economical. And you may save some time avoiding public transport and maybe even include a scenic road or two :))

Agree with OV, one fjord ferry should be fine. The fjords are much more than just water and seen and discovered just as well from the landside as from a ferry.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Flam to Sogndal airport

Gidday!again - Picking up a car in Bergen and returning it to Oslo will keep the one way charge to a reasonable level so this is a sensible plan. You could well include the both ferries Gudvangen to Kaupanger and Hellesylt to Geiranger on your journey. The two fjords are similar in that they both consist of water and high mountains in close proximity, but that's certainly not a reason for only seeing one of them. If you have time, make a short diversion into Norangsdalen before Hellesylt, and possibly use the ferries up the Hjorundfjord to get to Alesund.