We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gudvangen ferry to Flam or Kaupanger

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
149 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Gudvangen ferry to Flam or Kaupanger

We will be in the Flam area July 15-17 and will have a car with 4 adults and two kids 1 and 5 yrs. After looking at fares and cruise ship schedule thanks to advice/links in top questions section, it seems to me that the more efficient and cheaper option for us would be to take the one way Kaupanger car ferry which should be less crowded and take advantage of the family ticket. My question is: if we do this we will not cruise the Aurlandfjord segment -- will we miss anything ? I understand the most dramatic part is the narrow section from Gudvangen but still wanted to ask.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,681 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gudvangen ferry to Flam or Kaupanger

If you plan to cross the fjord anyway I would say the Gudvangen-Kaupanger ferry is the perfect solution giving sightseeing and transport all in one. You will not be missing out on anything major by not doing the Aurlandsfjord. The fjord scenery is all around you whereever you go in this area. Consider the Stegastein view point if the weather is favourable and it is compatible with your overall itinerary, then you will look down on the said fjord.

www.visitnorway.com/uk/product/?pid=47186

Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
149 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gudvangen ferry to Flam or Kaupanger

Thanks. I am considering Stegastein either as part of a round trip with the ferry, or as part of our planned daytrip to Nigardsbreen glacier. Either way, I also want to drive the snow road.

3. Re: Gudvangen ferry to Flam or Kaupanger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 05:16