We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flam Railway Ticket - Advance Purchase

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Flam Railway Ticket - Advance Purchase

Hi Folks,

Need a help around our upcoming Norway trip - I have booked a ticket on the Flam Railway on NSB website. The Ticket needs to be picked up at the station / ticket machine / mobile app. However many people at this forum have mentioned that the flam railway ticket needs to be always validated at the Myrdal station? So if I pick up the ticket on my mobile phone app, do I still need to go to the ticket counter at Myrdal or can I board the train and occupy any seat (free seating I presume) ?

Secondly which side of the train will have the best views if we are boarding from Myrdal?

Lastly, anyone who lives in Bergen or is around Flam this week - hows the weather like at the moment? Looks like a lot of rain in the forecasts..is that a constant drizzle or are their some sunny intervals? We are arriving on 23rd and already the weather looks gloomy for that weekend :-(

Cheers,

Sandeep

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,387 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flam Railway Ticket - Advance Purchase

I am not quite sure I understand your question. Having purchased a ticket on the the Flåm Railway you must arrive by train from somewhere like Bergen or Oslo or inbetween where there are vending machines available. At Myrdal there is absolutely nothing, no ticket counter, no vending machines. Having purchased your ticket on-line I suppose you will have an e-mail with a confirmation number that you could print and present to the ticket inspector on the Flåm Railway.

Weather right now is showery and as from today temperatures have dropped somewhat. 23rd is too far ahead for the forecasts to be reliable.

www.yr.no/sted/Norge/Hordaland/Bergen/Bergen/

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
13,272 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flam Railway Ticket - Advance Purchase

As you suggested - you just pick up the ticket at an NSB station ticket machine together with your ticket to Myrdal - there is a new function which allows you to print a .pdf ticket at the time of booking (or maybe if you made a profile you can go back and try) but not too sure if that is working reliably. There is no other validation of train tickets - just show to ticket inspector on board the train. Free seating - just board and grab. The train zig-zags down the valley side - the longest stretch will have the best views on the left side (facing in direction of travel).

I wouldn't put any faith in the long term weather forecast - check the day before. yr.no/place/…long.html

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flam Railway Ticket - Advance Purchase

Thanks guys - makes it clear to me then! Fingers crossed for some sun next weekend then!:-)

4. Re: Flam Railway Ticket - Advance Purchase

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2015, 06:16