We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lillestrom - interesting for a 13-year old?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
San Diego
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Lillestrom - interesting for a 13-year old?

I am visiting Norway with my 13-year old son. Our ancestors are from Lilletrom, Raelingen, and Kongsvinger. I am trying to decide which town or villages to visit. Keeping in mind the interests of a teenage boy (who loves museums and the outdoors). What kind of town is Lillestrom? Is it just a basic suburb? An industrial town? A pretty village? Please advise on visitng any of these towns.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,989 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lillestrom - interesting for a 13-year old?

My opinion may be biased, but I would say Lillestrøm is mostly a suburb for Oslo, not a great tourist place.

http://www.visitlillestrom.no/

Rælingen is across the river from Lillestrøm, you will hardly notice that they are separate towns. They are bothe nicely located where rivers enter lake Øyeren.

I would recommend a visit to Oslo, only 10 kilometers away.

San Diego
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lillestrom - interesting for a 13-year old?

Thank you for your thoughts. We are spending a few days in Oslo, so a trip to one of the "ancestral towns" seemed good. You are giving me the feedback I need, so I doubt we'll see Raelingen and Lillestrom. The only other town I am considering is Kongsvinger. Is that of interest?

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,989 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lillestrom - interesting for a 13-year old?

Visiting Lillestrøm and Rælingen from Oslo is quick and easy, it is on the same line as Kongsvinger:

nsb.no/getfile.php/…29.pdf

I don't know Kongsvinger very well.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lillestrom - interesting for a 13-year old?

Kongsvinger is nicely located by a bend in the river Glåmma, and has a fortress on the hilltop overlooking the river. If you are interested in Swedish-Norwegian history Kongsvinger is an interesting place, otherwise, not.

Sandefjord, Norway
Level Contributor
728 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lillestrom - interesting for a 13-year old?

If you are interested in the history of the immigrants and your son loves museums, it might be an idea to go to Hamar to see the the emigrantmuseum museumsnett.no/emigrantmuseum/index_en.html

You can get there in about 2hours by train/bus from Oslo

6. Re: Lillestrom - interesting for a 13-year old?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2010, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Lillestrom