We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Take an abandoned dog in Tossa for a walk. You'll love it!

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Take an abandoned dog in Tossa for a walk. You'll love it!

Part of Tossa's charm is that there aren't too many things to do. If you want a change from the beach or organised coach trips, one of the simple things you can do that is both fun and rewarding is to visit the local dog's home and take a dog for a walk in the Parc de sa Riera. It’s a lovely thing to do to take some of their poor homeless dogs for a walk in the tranquillity of the park. It gets you out to walk around the nice quiet little known country park and surrounding countryside. A bit of gentle exercise in amongst a holiday of good food and drink in Tossa does you the world of good. If you have pets at home and you are missing them, it is great company to have. If you are into animal welfare, it is great to be doing something that is of use. The dogs spend all day cooped up in kennels otherwise, hoping to be re-homed.

Kids love it. We went along with our toddler son and we were always given dogs that were fine with children. None of the dogs bite or are dangerous.

It’s completely free. It won’t cost you anything. If you wish, you can give them a donation, but you’ll never be asked for one.

You don’t need to know any Spanish; the staff there will know what you are there for if you say “Walk dogs”. There are no forms to fill out. You won’t even be asked your name. You can take them out for as long as you like, whether it’s a half hour stroll or a few hours, the dogs will be delighted to be out. It's open every day.

The park is just beyond the end of the market. When you get to the end of the market street, keep going. Walk through the park for about 10-15 minutes, go past the campsite and soon you’ll get to the municipal water works and then the dogs home is next door. You’ll hear them barking to guide you in the right direction!

The official details are as follows:

Gossera Comarcal,

Centre d'Acollida d'Animals a la Selva (CAAS),

Parc de sa Riera,

17320 Tossa de Mar.

Telephone number: 972340813

ccselva@ddgi.es

www.ccselva.org

You'll also see a couple of volunteers manning a table at Tossa's market every week with details of the centre, with their dog Jordi who came from the centre. Tossa's tourist information centre also has details of the centre.

85 replies to this topic
sudbury
Level Contributor
372 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Take an abandoned dog in Tossa for a walk. You'll love it!

I got better thing to do on holiday I think taking a orphan is more human than a dog

uk
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Take an abandoned dog in Tossa for a walk. You'll love it!

thats a bit sill LAGLORIA as who on earth gives out orphans to strangers??? but yes if there was orphans i would take them out along with the dogs lol

anyway im off on the 21st of may and will take the time to walk the dogs along with my three teenager boys so plenty doggie walking ,i love the idea x

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Take an abandoned dog in Tossa for a walk. You'll love it!

LAGLORIA if you don't want to take the dogs that's perfectly fine but why bother commenting!

Oh well, moves the thread up the page again.

Doncaster
Level Contributor
115 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Take an abandoned dog in Tossa for a walk. You'll love it!

What a lovely idea! Unfortunately my 7yr old is a little bit scared of dogs - he's fine with them but doesn't like them jumping up on him or being particularly active. How well do the staff speak English? My other son would love to take a dog for a walk, but ideally it would have to be a fairly old/quiet/timid dog that's not going to be too excitable and terrify my 7yr old!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Take an abandoned dog in Tossa for a walk. You'll love it!

You guys are all going straight to heaven!!!!

DOGGIE HEAVEN !!!!! :-)

Good on ya

Edited: 28 May 2012, 14:28
MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Take an abandoned dog in Tossa for a walk. You'll love it!

when we went they were so grateful of anyone to walk them it was just a case of clip the lead and off you go! The dogs were excited to be out and they did pull but they were far more interested in sniffing the ground / generally being out than jumping up.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,146 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Take an abandoned dog in Tossa for a walk. You'll love it!

Lagloria,, why comment, dog haters generally are bad people anyways.. everyone knows that !

I think its a wonderful idea, and for many people its sounds like it would add greatly to their holiday enjoyment... I know my boyfriend is dying to do this , and unless its simply roasting I plan on letting a doggie take me for a walk too. Seeing some untouristy countryside and getting some excersise in the bargain !!

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Take an abandoned dog in Tossa for a walk. You'll love it!

you have plenty of shade in the woods don't worry too much about the heat.

just don't go in flip flops, wear trainers or something

happy walking

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,146 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Take an abandoned dog in Tossa for a walk. You'll love it!

ha ha,, where I am from a heat wave is anything over 80 degrees, and 75 is plenty hot, I am planning on melting in Spain in August, so am secretly hoping for a cold snap!

We will walk the doggies if we can though, really looking forward to it!

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Take an abandoned dog in Tossa for a walk. You'll love it!

Panddda - sorry i'm a bit late in replying. Hope i'm not too late.

The staff don't speak a lot of English, but we've gone there with our son since he was four and have always found that the staff know, without us saying a word, that if they are giving a dog to a child to walk they always give them a small, calm, effortless to control dog. Adults do get given the bigger dogs that are keen to get walking but even these are always very good natured, not fierce in any way at all.

As a failsafe, you could try two words of Spanish: "tranquilo perro" means "calm dog", and they should find you one that is.

Last year we found the park has improved with a few new things for kids to play on, eg a big wooden train. It makes a nice shaded retreat from the main attraction of the seafront, even if you just give it 1 hour out of your holiday.

Have a great holiday.

Reply to: Take an abandoned dog in Tossa for a walk. You'll love it!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tossa de Mar
Recent Conversations