We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which riu hotel in gran canaria?

Hampshire
4 posts
Save Topic
which riu hotel in gran canaria?

Hi, Just wondered if someone could help me out with abit of information. We cannot decide between the Riu Palace Maspalomas Playa Del Ingles and the ClubHotel Riu Grand Canaria in Meloneras. people say that Meloneras was very nice, is there was more to do there than near the Riu Palace as we like something to do in the evenings i.e. nice shops (also designer), bars and restaurants within walking distance and I get the impression they are of a higher standard than playa del ingles. If someone could give me some advice that would be great. Thanks for taking the time to read this and help. Dawn x

Gran Canaria, Spain
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: which riu hotel in gran canaria?

Both are excellent , Rui Maspalomas has views to die for and is in a great location in PDI quiet yet not far from things if you want night life. the hotel looks over the dunes and across the sea.

There are more designer type shops etc around the ClubHotel Riu Meloneras. The whole Meloneras areas is slightly more upmarket with lots of nice bars etc all along the sea front there, bars can be slightly more expensive in that area.Bars shops etc are all within walking distance at Meloneras.

surrey
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which riu hotel in gran canaria?

Hi Dawn,

As well as location I think you also need to consider whether you want to go to a Riu Palace or a Riu Club Hotel.

The Palace hotels are generally more formal, waiter service I think for dinner - whereas the Club Hotel will be buffet for all meals.

We stayed at the Club Hotel Meloneras and thoroughly enjoyed it but then we prefer buffet meals to sit-down.

In my opinion, Meloneras is a much nicer place to stay than Playa Del Ingles. Isnt' there a Palace Hotel in Maspalomas?

Lovely walks along the prom at Meloneras to the nearby designer shops and upmarket bars.

Playa del Ingles always seems so busy to us - nice to visit but not to stay.

Hope this helps a bit.

Pat

England
Level Contributor
152 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which riu hotel in gran canaria?

Hi, I have not stayed at the Riu but I would say Meloneras everytime. We have just come back from Maspalomas and Meloneras is a lot more up market than PDI and it is a lot more laid back than PDI. Depends what you are looking for really. We are hoping to go back next year and stay at Meloneras as it is lovely as it is all so new. Good shops and some really nice expensive jewellers selling Rolex, Cartier, Gucci etc with security men on the doors, and lots of designer shops in Varedero shopping centre. Taxis are cheap so if you wanted to go into PDI you could cheaply. Hope this helps

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
373 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which riu hotel in gran canaria?

Hi Dawn

The Riu Club Gran Canaria and Riu Palace are next door to each other on the promenade in maspalomas/meloneras area. The area is very nice some good restaurants and shops both at the front and back of hotels. I have just come back from the Riu Club Gran Canara today and would not go back there, I would go to the Palace next time. We have stayed in the costa Melenoras too which I liked but they dont offer the all inclusive option.

England
Level Contributor
152 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which riu hotel in gran canaria?

Hi mumsonline,

What is Costa Meloneras like as we went in and had a look round and got a brochure for next year. Looks fab & would really love to stay there. Not bothered about AI, can you upgrade to HB from BB?

Thanks

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
373 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which riu hotel in gran canaria?

Dawn,

I really liked the Meloneras. The pool is great, a fantastic size and its an infinity pool. You can watch everyone walk along the promanade from the pool. The pool at The Riu Club is a nightmare - jam packed.

The food was good here. We found there wasn't much difference in price when we booked between BB or HB, so we went for HB, ate a couple of nights in the hotel and ate out too.

If we go back to Gran Canaria we would use either the Meloneras again or try the Riu palace. I would not go back to the Riu Club though. We have also stayed further in Maspalomas a few times and found your much better being on the front where your looking at. If you do fancy a night in PDI taxis are cheap enough.

Hope this helps you.

7. Re: which riu hotel in gran canaria?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about Maspalomas