We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How gay?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
How gay?

I dont want this to sound as a homophobic witch-hunt, but as i am planning a holiday to Maspalomas, i was wondering if peeps could put my mind at rest?

I am taking my wife and our young(7yo) daughter and whilst i am openminded if its kept behind closed doors, i really dont relish the thought of explaining certain sights to my daughter.

Please, tell me if i am being paranoid and off the mark, but, please also tell me if fears are founded on truth or hearsay.

I would hate for our holiday to be ruined by "in your face" attitudes of others.

This probably doesnt sound very good the way i have put it across, i genuinely dont want to offend anyone just to know if what i have heard has any substance.

Thx

Port Talbot, United...
Level Contributor
604 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How gay?

Ok skippyr00 Mapalomas is ok, dont see a lot of in your face gays. We are regulars of GC and have taken our grandchildren aged 6 and 3 there. The Yumbo centre in PDI is where most of the gays scene is, and the worse i've seen is holding hands, and that's mostly in the nights. Drag shows are also here, but are very funny, and these can be watched from a distance.

Where are you staying? any info you want? we stay in the campo de golf area of maspalomas. Hope this helps.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,544 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How gay?

Hi Skippy

Taking a week at very short notice, I didn't do my homework before booking a break in Maspalomas and when I told my friends, several who are gay, they pointed me to this website. iknow-canaryislands.co.uk/tourist_informatio… Fortunately this doesn't bother us old hippies, but ideally you should be aware of what the resorts offer before booking.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,544 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How gay?

Oops don't think I copied the link correctly, iknow-canaryislands.co.uk/tourist_informatio…

Try this.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How gay?

thx for the help, we are toying with the idea of the Green Golf or Sandy Golf, are these any good? I know the reviews all seem positive. Probably a bad idea to be so close to a golf course, especially when i am told under no circumstances do i get to take my clubs, lol

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,544 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How gay?

Sorry don't know we are at Club Vista Serena which looks good but we'll find out soon enough (lol)

Drogheda, Ireland
Level Contributor
257 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How gay?

hi skippyroo myself and my husband have just came back from puerto rico while there we went to masplaaomas and playa del ingles for the day to checkout appartments our daughter wanted to visit,now having visited my advise to my daughter was to visit puerto rico or one of the other islands ,without wanting to annoy any one and only expressing my personal opinion which everyone is entitled too this area would not be one i would visit again especially with young children

Port Talbot, United...
Level Contributor
604 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How gay?

SANDY GOLF and GREEN GOLF we always stay at one of them, both fab complexes can't go wrong with either one. have been going there for 11 years, right on the golf course is the green golf, and the sandy golf is across the road. Low key entertainment but loads of bars etc a 5-8 min walk to the faro 2 cc. beautiful pools relaxing and peaceful. Nice 20-25 min walk to the maspalomas beach, or a 4-5 euro taxi ride. there are courtesy buses which run from both complexes to PDI and Maspalomas beach. Have some pics on here. PS if you decide on one of these complexes i would advise the sandy golf as they are one level bungalows as you have a 7 yr old, green golf are duplex style bungalows, but you can use both complex's take a look at their site www.cordialcanarias.com

anything else do not hessitate to ask.

Port Talbot, United...
Level Contributor
604 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How gay?

hi aquilas club vista serena really nice place, have'nt stayed there but a friend of mine keeps going back time after time. I believe it's up near the market nr san fernando. Some nice picsm google it f you have'nt already.

Clichy, France
Level Contributor
386 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How gay?

A few of the hotels around the Yumbo center might be somehow gay orientated. However, I think you might be a bit paranoid, as it is seldom in your face unless you go to certain places at certain times. If you want to see the gay center of the island go to Yumbo in the afternoon and you will see well behaved gays and straits mingling with each other. Try Centrum which is a good restaurant.

Gay tourism is very well regarded as quality tourism in Gran Canaria which involves few problems and a good economical income for local business.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,544 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How gay?

Thanks JK since booking I have seen their website and it does look good, the reason I didn't check beforehand was that it was a use it or lose it deal with RCI.