We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To hire a car or not?

Ireland
Level Contributor
451 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
To hire a car or not?

I'm going to Maspalomas to stay in Vistaflor Bungalows with my husband and 2 year old son. We are planning a few trips to a waterpark, palmitos park and maybe sioux city. I'm wondering would it be worth my while hiring a car or will taxis suffice?

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,780 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To hire a car or not?

The waterpark is a short distance so a taxi.

Palmitos Park has a regular bus service going round the resorts.

Sioux City, which admittedly I have never been to, has a bus service pick up too. So definitely don't hire a car for these.

The island has a very good bus service and it would make more sense to use this to visit Las Palmas, Puerto Mogan etc than hiring a car with all the hassle involved, especially parking. Again admittedly I have never done it with a two year old in tow.

To see the island there are many good tours you can book. Don't forget that the island is 50 km long but goes up to 6,000 feet so unless you have a passion for hairpin bends and driving on narrow mountain roads I would leave your licence at home. Actually I always do.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To hire a car or not?

I always hire a car when in GC. That way I have the freedom to do what I like.

I use a company called autoreisen and pick up car at the airport.

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,835 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To hire a car or not?

Like Manzana says i like to use the bus services on the islands for the tourist attractions and resorts ,but if it a look at the inner island i would hire a car .

whilst on the point of hiring a car ,earlier this year a TA member reported that when he returned the hire car to the airport office the man working there said he was to busy to check the car over .The TA member said the car was in good order but after his return he recieved a bill for several thousand euros for damage .Now whether it was or was not damaged is not for me to judge .But do make sure you get it checked out as you pick it up ,take photos of any damage on pick up .And definatley make sure no matter how busy the person is they check the vehicle .you should also get a written slip stating returned in good order .I cant remember for definate which company but Autoreisen does ring a bell .

Have a fantastic holiday .

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To hire a car or not?

I have never had an issue with Autoreisen.

IMO the fault lied with the TA member not ensuring that everything was crossed and dotted when he dropped off the car. Thats the chance you take when you just leave the car at the airport; something I dont do as I have been stung in the UK by doing that!.

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,835 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To hire a car or not?

Thats why i posted the warning ,by what you have said it can happen in the UK it can happen else where .Fore warned is fore armed imo .

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To hire a car or not?

I once left a car with Europcar and they sent me a bill for over filling with oil.

I had not even put in any oil.

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
534 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To hire a car or not?

We used Autoreisen - no problems at all, unlike some others we've used in the past. We always hire a car - much more flexible!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: To hire a car or not?

Just an interesting point regarding damage to hire cars. I hired a car from Gold Cars and the terms of the hire is that the body is fully insured with no excess. (undercariage and windscreen do have an excess) When I collected the car there were several dents and scrapes in the body.

I was worried that I would be blamed for this so I photographed the damage and returned to the counter to show the staff. The responce was 'so what, it is fully insured'. It appears that they don't bother fixing body damage and there were no issues when I returned the car.

In a way it was a relief to know that any minor scrapes that I might add were of no concern since in Gold Cars world - insured means don't bother worrying about it.

I have always had a good experiance hiring cars in GC but I resent paying for a full tank of petrol (which seems to be normal practice) when I only use a quarter of it,

Next trip I will be using autoriesen as they come out a bit cheaper on the comparison site. Given that you can hire a car for the same price as taxis to the hotel the additional flexibility is a bonus.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To hire a car or not?

I have a car booked with them again for my trip next month.

Good idea of taking the photos! Ill remember that one!

Rixensart
Level Contributor
3 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To hire a car or not?

Us too !!! Autoreisen has the best prices and a very good service and insurance !

Auto = Freedom !

Get answers to your questions about Maspalomas
Recent Conversations