We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sonnenland - gran canaria

Tenerife, Spain
1 post
Save Topic
sonnenland - gran canaria

Booked a last minute deal and staying in Sonnenland, I can find very little info on this area. Are there plenty bars & GOOD restaurants. I like dining out and consider this a big part of my holiday. Also how far from the beach (not the dunes)

kent
Level Contributor
69 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sonnenland - gran canaria

you are correct,there is not a great deal in sonnenland,but for around 4 euro jump in a cab and you are just a short trip from playa del ingles,with an abundance of nightlife restaurants etc etc.Also the beach is around the same price in a cab.Its quite a walk to either maspalomas beach or playa del ingles,I would not attempt it,but cabs and buses are plentiful in your resort.Hope you have a great time.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,284 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sonnenland - gran canaria

Personally, I would hire a car and then you don't have to rely on cabs abd buses. You can also use it to visit the north and centre of the island which is so much nicer than the south.

Car hire cost and petrol reasonably priced in the Canaries.

surrey
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sonnenland - gran canaria

Our first introduction to Gran Canaria was Sonnenland. We actually had been misled by the travel agent who told us that it was Maspalomas. As has already been stated above though, a few euro in a taxi will take you to the beach and restaurants. I would suggest that maybe Meloneres is somewhere you might find good restaurants.

Hope you got a good price for your last minute booking. Enjoy! ;o)

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sonnenland - gran canaria

I have stayed in Sonnenland too. Big Mistake. There is a bus service to PDI but infrequent. I walked to the beach at Maspalomas and it took about an hour.

The main problem is that Sonnenland has become increasingly residential as the tourists moved away. Or never came. There are bars and restaurants, of course, but not in great numbers.

The main problem with the taxi idea is that you would need at least four journeys a day (return beach, return PDI) so minimum of 20 euros a day which soon adds up. I hated that if I wanted to 'pop out' for a coffee or shop to PDI it meant a wait for the bus or get a taxi. Either way an expensive coffee. You will need to get a taxi to find somewhere good to eat.

I can see why you got a late bargain but I think at the end of the day it would have been cheaper to pay more and stay in the resort proper.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: sonnenland - gran canaria

dont woory sonnenland is great a few bars and good reastaurants e.g .vista bonita, also 2 spars and nice walk to maspalomas.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: sonnenland - gran canaria

dont worry

Edited: 11 September 2012, 13:14
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sonnenland - gran canaria

What hotel are you staying in?

8. Re: sonnenland - gran canaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2013, 10:16