We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living in Gran Canaria

Stirling, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Living in Gran Canaria

Hello

Can anyone advise me please. I would like to stay on the island for a year. I do not intend to work on the island. Do I need a visa ? I am from the U K

Thanks

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Living in Gran Canaria

No visa needed if you are a UK citizen but you might want to check on the situation regarding tax and health cover if you are staying for a year I am not sure but I don't think you are covered by your EH1C if you are resident rather than a holidaymaker

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
948 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Living in Gran Canaria

You dont need a visa but you will need private health insurance. Officially your European health card wont cover you in the long term and it wouldnt fly you back to the uk if you had a serious accident or incident.

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
4,804 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Living in Gran Canaria

You're supposed to change your tax domicile if you live in a foreign country for over 183 days in a year. However, if you know at the outset that it's only for one year then they might waive that. Might be worth checking with your tax people first.

Stirling, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Living in Gran Canaria

Thanks for the information.

David

Stirling, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Living in Gran Canaria

Thanks for the information.

David

6. Re: Living in Gran Canaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2015, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Maspalomas