We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phones to UK and useage in Malta

Which Mellieha hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cleveland
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Mobile phones to UK and useage in Malta

I am visiting Malta in August with my 15 year old daughter and her friend and I would like to be able to contact them on the Island. Will mobile phone charges be expensive - ie From T.Mobile and 02 and visa versa. Also is it expensve to text to UK ??

Cheers

Island of Gozo...
Level Contributor
380 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phones to UK and useage in Malta

Hi

Just got back Sunday.

We have got a 3 phone and it costs around 50p for a text and around 25p a minute in calls. Different charges for different networks.

You can get reception to phones everywhere.

Enjoy your holiday We are so jealous

cleveland
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phones to UK and useage in Malta

What is a 3 phone ? And Im sorry your'e home but I bet you enjoyed yourselves. What was the weather like and what part of the island did you go to?

Cheers

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
155 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phones to UK and useage in Malta

Used T Mobile in Malta last week and cost was 40p I think per min......it used Vodafone Malta......will check if I still have the text message and just what it said later.

Bridlington, United...
Level Contributor
530 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile phones to UK and useage in Malta

If you go on the web page for your phone provider you will be able to get the tariffs for calls to and from abroad in each country, also think that charges differ if contract or pay as you go.

JO

London, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile phones to UK and useage in Malta

There are now maximum rates which mobile phone operators can charge within the EU zone.

Making calls = 38p/minute

Receiving calls = 19p/minute

Texts are different and are still up to the operator.

Generally:

Sending texts = 25-40p

Receiving texts = 0-40p

(Orange is 40p to send, free to receive)

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile phones to UK and useage in Malta

definitely do not make calls to them ... it's expensive and costs at both ends.

Texts are not too bad providing it's not for idle jibber jabber. (I know what 15 year olds can be like!)

To further save costs it's also essential to switch OFF their voice mail BEFORE they leave the uk or any picked up in Malta (or anywhere else abroad for that matter) will attract premium rates.

You can always "prank" call and use that as a pre-arranged idea to speak on a landline or even to call you.

7. Re: Mobile phones to UK and useage in Malta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 07:20
Get answers to your questions about Mellieha
Recent Conversations