We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK visitors - which company for car hire?

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
508 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
UK visitors - which company for car hire?

We're heading to Malta in June for a long weekend and are considering hiring a car.

Looking at info on here a taxi from the airport to Mellieha will cost approx 30 Euros each way but i've seen car hire for approx £45 from Fri - Mon (which seems ok).

Just wondering which car hire companies you use as i'd like to have a shop around and compare prices.

Thanks in advance

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: UK visitors - which company for car hire?

Hi Lots of people have their favourites, use Aquarius rent a car Ltd in St. Pauls Bay.

www.aquariusrentacar.com

We had a bad rental our first year (via a travel agent) so I shoped around for a car rental in the town we were staying. We have used them for 4 years - and they have kept the same price for us each year. They are only 4 or 5 miles from Mellieha and do airport deliveries and pick ups. £45.00 sounds a good price, but it may be for late friday to early pick up monday? If it is 4 full days it is good. Remember there will probably be extra's on top like full cover insurace (worth it for peace of mind), fuel in the car to start with, and possibly VAT.

Regards Trisha

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK visitors - which company for car hire?

You could also go to the Malta forum and put `car hire` in the search box so that you`ll be able to see previous threads on the subject. If you want to e-mail one of them www.yellowpages.com.mt should help.

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: UK visitors - which company for car hire?

my fingers are slower than my brain LOL!

my post should have read... (missing we)

Hi Lots of people have their favourites, We use Aquarius rent a car Ltd in St. Pauls Bay.

As Hat said there have been lots of posts on car hire before, so you can look them up in the search box.

I just suggested Aquarius as you are staying in that part of the island. We had a headlight bulb go on us last year and as they were local it only took 10 minutes to sort it out at their garage in SPB.

Regards Trisha

London, United...
Level Contributor
941 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: UK visitors - which company for car hire?

there are all the franchises, AVIS, Europecar...but you will most probably get it cheaper when you hire through one of the local garages! Unfortunately cannot help you, since we hire our car from Gozo..and if am correct, Gozo car hires do not hire cars for Malta only. Maybe someone can confirm?!?

uk
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: UK visitors - which company for car hire?

my daughter has booked with hertz ans got a good deal in the uk for august

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK visitors - which company for car hire?

With the way the pound is against the Euro I will continue to opt for Economy Car Hire. UK internet based company. It is a mini search engine and the price you see is the price you pay which includes CDW etc etc. Best part is that you pay in sterling so no paying for currency conversions or fluctuating markets.

I've used them for the last 4 years and had very good deals having chosen either Budget or Avis both cheaper than the companies can provide directly. Aquarius is also on there. Luckily I've had a pretty new car every time too.

Wirral
Level Contributor
93 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UK visitors - which company for car hire?

I have used a family run business in St Pauls for several years, try their website josefcarhire.com when I went in August last year I was quoted 28 Euros a day & 25 Euros for the taxi to the airport. It might be a little bit more now because of the exchange rate, but it might be worth asking them for a quote. I used Avis once before & found that they added lots of little extras on & also when we got back to the UK & got our credit card bill, there was a charge for something that we were not aware of, so be careful.

Northampton
Level Contributor
2 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK visitors - which company for car hire?

The last company to use is Aquarius Car Rental in St. Pauls. I went 4 years ago and found them to be OK but I have just come back from a week in Malta and booked the car before I went on an "all-inclusive" deal for 117 euro plus fuel. When I got there they charged me 50 euro for Airport collection and delivery, 20 euro for tyre insurance (a must given the islands poor roads)and 25 euro for 1/2 a tank of fuel when i filled it later from empty for just 26 euro. I will never ever use them again.

My advice is use economycarrentals.co.uk as their prices are fixed and I usually always use them wherever I am in the world and never have a problem.

9. Re: UK visitors - which company for car hire?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2013, 18:20
Somerset
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: UK visitors - which company for car hire?

you should consider the local buses out there, there extremely cheap, frequent and go to most locations on the island, we used them for the whole two weeks we were over there and have no complaints!

Get answers to your questions about Mellieha