We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental in Malta

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
222 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental in Malta

We arrive in late September and will be staying in Valletta for 2 days then going to Mellieha for a condo for about a week then back to the airport to fly out on 10/6 --- I know we won't need a car in Valletta so we won't rent one until the 30th - the condo owner says it might be much easier to have their driver come pick us up in Valletta and drive to Mellieha and then we can rent a car there easily enough - then we can I suppose either return it there or the airport, depending on who we rent from and its terms [I am aware of the bus system so that's fine]

Does this make sense? I'm not sure we care other than being able to drive to Mellieha when we want and how we want rather than wait for a car pickup.

Any suggesstions? We're flexible = mainly want an Economy size car with Air...and hopefully auto but stick would be fine [Auto trans the best for us]

Many thanks.

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental in Malta

We have rented cars from the following:-

Super Car Hire 79446004

www.supercarhire.com

R. Mifsud Bonnici Street, Lija BZN 08, Malta

Ray’s Auto Rentals 00 356 21433958

Mobile 7949 0312 9949 0312

Josef Car Hire 00 356 21578762 or 21571114

Mobile 79470456 or 79428627

www.josefcarhire.com

When I have stayed in Mellieha and wanted a car delivered to the hotel, I have found Ray's and Josef both helpful and cheap.

Supercarhire I have used twice recently, both times from and return to the airport. Try and see if Duncan will deliver to Mellieha, I know that you can leave his cars at the airport. I have found him very helpful, so I am sure that he will help.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental in Malta

Sounds a very excellent idea renting a car in Mellieha .

There are several car rental companies in the town so you will have no problem getting one.

Most of the cars will be manual transmission but automatic may be available. Most will have air - conditioning.

Don`t forget that Malta drives on the correct side of the road ---- not the American wrong side ! ! !

It all makes great sense and will wall work out OK>

Graham.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental in Malta

Just some honest (and entirely factual) feedback an d a warning from an experienced traveller to Malta.

I love Malta, I lived there for many years and know the people very well. It's a fabulous place to visit and I consider it my second home. My last trip (Oct 2010) I rented a car from the European online car rental firm Car Del Mar (who have always been excellent in the past).

This time, on my arrival I was met by a rep from a small local car rental firm (not Hertz or Avis as usual). He had no office but was just a young guy with a clipboard.

Upon my return to the UK, I noticed the local car rental firm had charged me for damage to the vehicle after my departure. I am absolutely certain that I had not damaged the car. But they took over £600 from my credit card for 'repairs'.

I collected the car in darkness (the rep chose not to accompany me to the car even though he wasn't office bound) and dropped it off in darkness (again no rep there at the time). The rep tried hard to sell me their local insurance when I collected the car but I explained I was already fully covered. They obviously made a note of that!

Anyway, my credit card company subsequently investigated and found the car rental company had "breached the merchant code" and gave me a full refund.

This is because I had not signed any documentation accepting the 'damage' prior to my departure (obviously because there WAS none!), they say the car firm had no right to take my money.

Lesson to be learned: Do not take possession of a rental vehicle in Malta without an accompanied inspection from a car rental firm rep to ascertain any pre-existing damage when you collect.

The car rental firm in question was Aquarius Car Rental in St. Paul's Bay.

Also - DO NOT check the car back into the airport and leave without a similarly signed document that the car is OK, otherwise the same may happen to you.

4. Re: Car Rental in Malta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2011, 10:31
Island of Malta...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental in Malta

The client did not purchase our insurance, but insurance from another company (Car Del Mar).

The client returned the car damaged. He was given all documents to make a claim, including invoices, photos, and damage sheet reports.

After the client got reimbursed from Car Del Mar, he contacted the bank to cancel the payment he did to us claiming that he did not damage the car.

Therefore, after using the receipts and getting refunded, the client is also trying to make money out of the issue by inventing all sorts of staff.

All the matter is under investigation by American Express (and not as the client is stating that I 'breached the merchant code'. We are also in discussion with our lawyers to verify if we should take legal action against this fraud.

Aquarius Rent A Car

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental in Malta

I don't believe Trip Advisor should be hijacked for a public slanging match, so I won't be responding to the car firm's comments on this forum. Anyone who knows how credit card payments and protection works can draw their own conclusions about what the industry thinks of this practice.

The words "breaching the merchant code" were the exact words used by American Express following their investigation which was concluded some three months after the incident took place and the payment was taken.

I merely posted here to warn others of the dangers of accepting and/or returning hire cars without an inspection or documentation that proves that a car was not damaged when it was left behind by the customer.

I would not wish for anyone else to go through my experience, that's all.

Island of Malta...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental in Malta

Dear Client,

If you are as honest and helpful as you want to give the impression, maybe it would be nice for you to add that after i gave you the receipts for repair, you made a claim with Car Del Mar and you were reimbursed for the expenses from Car Del Mar. After you received payment you made a chargeback on the payment you did to Aquarius.

Therefore on the forum you wrote you did not damage the car, but you still made a claim and recovered money with the receipts i gave you. You ended up making a profit from the issue.

This is a complete fraud.

Luckily i only deal with the likes of you very rarely. I have hundreds of repetitive clients who return year after year.

I still hope that i can be of service to you in the future.

Best Regards,

Aquarius Rent A Car

England
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental in Malta

It's best to pick up from the airport and leave at the airport. Just check for delivery fees and out of office hours fees.

It's easy driving in malta, but automatic may be better so you can just concentrate on the road. In malta everyone seems to be in a hurry.

any car hire will do, in mellieha i know billy's and aquarius rent a car. both good and reasonably priced.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental in Malta

I would be highly offended if I wasn't so secure in my knowledge of who is in the right here.

It's amusing that I am being accused of fraud by the car rental company Aquarius Rent A Car! Pot, kettle, black.

Contrary to their assertions, the insurance department at Car Del Mar have been kept fully informed of all developments to do with this case and any money they had originally paid me (as I sought to reclaim my costs) is returned - once the credit card company gave me a full refund.

Once again - the credit card company have given me a full refund because Aquarius Rent A Car "breached their merchant code". Believe you me, credit card companies don't return money to a cardholder without good reason as I'm sure people can imagine.

The warning for other travellers is to beware companies that allow you to collect and drop off your car without an accompanied inspection. It's entirely possible that if they believe you are fully insured they may charge you for damage in the hope that you make a claim for the full amount and say no more about it.

There are many highly reputable car hire firms for the north end of the island of Malta. Alcapone, Billy's Garage and Henry's Garage to name but three. Many of the others are listed elsewhere on this site.

Enjoy your trip to this fantastic island.

Stone Town, Tanzania
Level Contributor
246 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental in Malta

Hi, i think if ( the most comfortable way) you start in Valetta then book a car hire there at the day you want to leave. You can check this site http://www.izzicarhiremalta.com in addition, according to my knowledge one way rentals in Malta should be free of charge ( budget malta), thrifty will charge you 6 eur, europcar 10 eur.

Definitely you will have more freedom.

Get answers to your questions about Mellieha
Recent Conversations