We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shark Trips

Which Mellieha hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shark Trips

Hello all, we're going to stay in Mellieha next week and I've recently read about Sharks in Maltese waters. Don't worry I'm not going to worry about seeing fins as I paddle in the shallow waters but I was wondering if anyone knows of trips/fisherman that offer the opportunity to see them. I'm not quite brave enough to swim with one, maybe get in a cage but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I don't mind traveling to other parts of Malta as this is something I've always wanted to do.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shark Trips

The chance of seeing a shark in Malta is very rare and in my lifetime I have only seen them on Discovery Channel .

The recent newsarticle was not correct in facts , since a large fish is not necessarily a shark .

I would go to the marine park and swim with dolphins if you fancy something different !

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Shark Trips

Yes I've just read on the forum that very few see them. There are so many videos/photos and articles about sharks in Malta but I suppose numbers are dwindling.

Then again just because you haven't seen one doesn't mean that if you go out and put bait in the water one won't come to you. This isn't a plan but this is a trip offered in South Africa.

Thanks for the heads up about the marine park sounds a bit gimmicky swimming with Dolphins in a pool for my taste but the picture of the parrot on the bicycle sold it for me.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shark Trips

About 40 years ago , sharks were more likely to be seen , because the Suez canal was used for passenger ships regularly and sharks moved behind ships scavenging for food refuse thrown overboard .

I was referring to the chance of encountering sharks within the coastal waters . I have done a lot of swimming and diving in my life and enjoy the sea all summer , nearly daily lately .

I have a friend from Zurrieq , called Footrule , who actually caught the biggest shark ever caught OFF Malta , about 27 miles off south , some 24 years ago . It is a standing record and not likely to be repeated .Any large fish are immediately reported in the daily papers , and the latest fish sighted was probably a sunfish and not a shark .

I will post you the links to the photos of the fish if I find them !

If it was possible , someone in Malta would probaly make a cruise business out of it , but I do not know of one yet !

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shark Trips

Personally I think you have more chance of catching BSE than swimming with sharks. I've never heard of one dive company set up nor prepared for shark spotting. Many years ago while in the navy we used to have a shark spotter in the boat even when we dived in Malta.

I'm not certain I believe the windsurfers story simply from the 'bite evidence' in the middle of the sail. By the same token I'm not naive enough to say there are no sharks around. Last year while diving at Anchor Bay there were a number of shark suckers there as well as a lot of fish agaitation/panic but I never saw anything else.

I was diving this year at St Elmo right by the alleged attack and on the same day but there was no unusual fish activity and only read about the 'attack' in the paper a few days later.

I think if you want to go shark watching South Africa or the Bahamas is the place for it. There won't be any cage dives in Malta....

5. Re: Shark Trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Mellieha
Recent Conversations