We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Maria Estate in Mellieha

Kent, England
Level Contributor
233 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Maria Estate in Mellieha

We are staying in a villa here at the beginning of June.

We're looking for recommendations on restaurants, markets, etc. We will have a BBQ at the villa and would love to get some fresh produce to cook at the property. Will also want to eat out some nights.

Also, we want to hire a car, but not for the whole week. Is it possible to hire a car at the last minute in this area? Can anyone recommend a local car hire agency?

We want to also use the famous old buses. Do these run frequently from this area? Do they go into Valletta? How do I find out about bus schedules, etc? How long is it on the bus to Valletta?

Is it possible to walk/hike from here to Selmun Palace or Imgiebah Bay which both look close on the map. Can anyone suggest any other pleasant walking or hiking areas around this part of the Island?

Thanking everyone in advance for any suggestions.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Maria Estate in Mellieha

you can get the bus timetable here - http://www.atp.com.mt - the old buses will still be running in June but you might need to hire a car for the whole week as you may be a good distance from Mellieha village where you will be able to buy anything you need. - have a good holiday

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Maria Estate in Mellieha

Times of buses through Mellieha can also be found here:

globestudios.co.uk/maltabybus/…2010_045.pdf and

globestudios.co.uk/maltabybus/…2010_048.pdf .

You can travel direct to Valletta, Bugibba, Sliema and the Gozo Ferry terminal at Cirkewwa.

The buses pick up at Mellieha approximately 10 minutes after leaving Cirkewwa and the journey should take just under 1 hour.

Phil-the-Bus

Kent, England
Level Contributor
233 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Maria Estate in Mellieha

Thanks for the bus links. I shall check those out.

Does anyone have an idea of how much a taxi would cost from Valletta to Mellieha? Or how easy it is to park in say Sliema or Bugibba or somewhere where the buses might to later from Valletta? parking easy outside of Valletta?

Can anyone recommend some specific restaurants in the Mellieha village?

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Maria Estate in Mellieha

I would guess that a taxi from Valletta to Mellieha would be around €25

There is a multi storey car park in Sliema, right near the shops.

Parking in Bugibba is just a case of going around until you find a space, usually takes me about 10 minutes to find a parking space.

Valetta is a bit of a pain to park, we usually use the small car park to the right of the old bus station/main entrance, the car park is accessible by a small slip road to the right, it is actually in Valletta, here it is better to leave the keys so the attendant can shuffle the cars around.

Restaurants in Mellieha I have heard the Arches near the far end of Mellieha from Santa Maria Estate going towards the beach is good. I had a bad experience at the Hilltop, it has reviews about poor service. Have a look at the list of restaurants in Mellieha, be careful some of the restaurants are miles away but still in Mellieha postal area such as the Agliolio (misspelt as Aglioolio) this is at the Radisson on Golden Bay!

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Maria Estate in Mellieha

I agree with others like Holidaymalta, in that it would be best to hire a car for the full time. Santa Maria Estate goes on for quite a distance and if you are the far end then it will be quite a hike to the main road; I would not like to be carrying provisions from Shoppers Main Street to even half way around Santa Maria Estate.

If you have a car the full time then this will give you access to more restaurants in St Julian’s and other areas.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santa Maria Estate in Mellieha

With the exception of those to the Sliema / St.Julians / Paceville area, all the buses finish at about 9pm. If you want to go out for the evening you really do need a car / taxi.

Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santa Maria Estate in Mellieha

Hello we live permanently in Mellieha and have experienced most of the restaurants and can vouch for most of them as being good (with the exception of the hilltop...good food but the service is not good very slow) The arches is the most expensive one in the village and the island...you may need to allow for 60-100 euros per head....for a three courser with wine. You should also try the newly refurbished labour club on the main street near the hsbc bank as they now doing food too. The staff are very friendsly and accommodating.

as for santa maria it is a massive estate here (we used to live there)and like others have said a car is a must if you are at the far end.....your better off going into valletta by bus (daytimes) take the opportunity now as the old buses will dissappear in July. Valletta at night car or taxi defo. Billys do car and taxis hire they also do a shuttle bus to st julians paceville at about 830pm from the musicclub fridays and saturdays..with return trips in the early hours...fare depends on how many are on the bus - but rarely o they exceed a fiver.

Island of Gozo...
Level Contributor
380 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santa Maria Estate in Mellieha

I can highly recomend Cross Keys for a meal...

Excelent service and well priced.

we had steak last time about 20 euro's and we watched the chef cook it.

For a good night you cannot go wrong even if only for a quiet drink and snack.

Enjoy. We will be arriving 21st June for 2 weeks and look forward to eating here often

9. Re: Santa Maria Estate in Mellieha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2012, 21:17
Get answers to your questions about Mellieha