We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Malta

Glenrothes, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Christmas in Malta

Are there enough to do at this time or are most restaurants/bars closed? We are a couple, we do not particularly like Nite-life. We like historical places and really nice scenery , good food.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,382 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Malta

I have spent the last 13 Christmases ( and New Years ) in Malta.

I can assure you that there is plenty to do. The days leading up tu Christmas Valletta will be packed with shoppers and revellers.

Christmas Eve will find Maltese families out at restaurants and bars -- they will be packed.

Christmas day will be a little quieter as this is family time but many bars and restaurants will be open.

The bus service closes down for about 3 hours for Christmas lunch and then starts up again.

You will have plenty to do -- hotels often lay things on .

All museums and historical sites will be open except for Christmas day.

The liveliest , and most enjoyable time is Christmas Eve . Unlike in UK , Boxing day is more or less back to normal.

Have a good time

Graham

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Malta

What is there to say , Graham , said it all !

If you want to eat out on Christmas day and eve or New years day and eve, you have to book early or else go to Mc D !

Happy Xmas

London, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Malta

"The bus service closes down for about 3 hours for Christmas lunch and then starts up again."

That's assuming it's actually started by Christmas!

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Malta

I was in valletta this morning and buses are running thick and slow...the bus depot was jammed with buses !!!!!

Seems that Arriva are getting things going , even if haphazardly it seems to me ????

Maybe they will get better by Christmas :-)

Arriva ! Arriva ! .....Arriva Mai !

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Malta

Go to Mellieha.

They have a wonderful Christmas Fair leading up to the day, on the church square.

Ivyland...
Level Contributor
441 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in Malta

We'll be in Malta during Christmas as well. I am heartened to hear that transportation shouldn't be an issue other than 3 hours over the midday on Christmas day. This will be our first trip to Malta and we are looking forward to it. We are staying at the Golden Sands via a timeshare trade. We'll be arriving December 23rd and hope to get enough groceries that day to be able to make it through Christmas day together, the wife and I.

What is traditional during this time that a visitor might like. Anything near the Radisson Golden Sands would be nice to know of.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
595 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas in Malta

Golden Sands is a nice hotel remote and expensive, I went to one of their gala buffet lunches, and to be quite honest it was fabulous and outstanding, but at a price, one of the traditional things is going round the Island looking at cribs, sort of a competition, who's is best even the prison dose one, apart from that there isn't much, the nearest place with any life from Golden bay will be Qawra Bugibba area you will need to get there for your stores. Buses run to here, I would recommend the hop on hop off buses for sight seeing, you can do all Malta and Gozo on these, good and terrific value for money, have a wonder Christmas in Malta. KNOWKATS.

Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas in Malta

Mellieha is worthy of a visit to see the precpju (home made cribs made out out of pasta and rice etc)....the fair thats here is exceptional and lasts for the whole week before xmas and culminates in the llve nativity and stalls and musc and dancing, maltese foods etc ....a must see in my view...as villagers we go to it every year and love to see the festivities....you can even have breakfast under the xmas tree with santa (christmas father in malti) after the midnight mass on christmas eve....FAB

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas in Malta

Wow, sounds like a wonderful place to be for the holidays!

Anyone knows of villas, we hope to go from London or Brussels from Dec.23 to 27, 2011.

Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas in Malta

try this

www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p449693…

Get answers to your questions about Mellieha
Recent Conversations