We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buses

Which Mellieha hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Telford, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
buses

Hi we are planning on booking a holiday in October at the Luna Holiday Complex. We were going to use the bus service to explore the island but a bit concerned about recent reviews re buses. So wondering if it had improved or should we rethink.

Thankyou.

London, England
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buses

I haven't been to Malta before, so can't comment on the old system, but they've recently (in July) been taken over by Arriva, so I'd assume they're now pretty well regulated - I'm going out in October so have been doing quite a bit of research!

There's a good map of the routes at www.maltabybus.com, and you can then use the route numbers to look up the timetables on Arriva's site (www.arriva.com.mt). There's also a page with information about fares, but read the fine print - you can only get the cheaper fares if you're a Malta citizen. A week's bus pas for non-residents is 12euros.

Hope that helps a bit, and if anyone's actually been recently hopefully they can tell us what it's really like!

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: buses

Not used the buses this year but may be worth having a look at the following - gives comments over this year:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g190311-i348-k42…

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buses

I am too a great fan of touring Malta by bus and I do have some very fond memories of doing so many times with the the old beatiful buses. I am planning to go to Malta again soon, but have reservation about the new bus system.

The latest reports are not encouraging. One poster even vowed never to go to Malta again after her experience with buses. she would wait ages at her bus stop then when any bus came along it was always full. Another complained that some 2 ways streets are simply to narrow for the new buses. Journeys time is much longer than before. There is also confusion about the accuracy of the new timetable and confusion about some new routes.

My current understanding is that Arriva vows to get all the problems by the end of this month (September). Finger crossed it will.

Malta is a wondeful place and it is understandable that it needs modernising. But by chaning the old buses it has lost a unique and special characteristic image and in the process created chaos by introducing an ill-though of and badly planned shambolical modern transport system.

Malta we love you. Get sorted and soon!!!!

wigan
Level Contributor
128 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buses

This year in Malta post start of Arriva i wanted to go to Mgarr so i had to take a bus to Mosta then catch a bus to Mgarr sounds easy does it not.

Once in Mosta my Mgarr BUS SHOULD BE EVERY 20MIN i waited 2hrs in 40c when it arrived it was chocca block full and the driver would not let us on.

I missed my meeting with Maltese friends in Mgarr and took a taxi back to Qwara in my opinion and it is mine only Arriva have spoilt Malta not just for the tourist but for the Maltese as well BRING BACK OLD YELLA

London, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: buses

After many enjoyable holidays to Malta, we too feel we have had our last one in July after our appalling experience of the new bus service. The Maltese tourist industry has been destroyed by the sheer incompetence of Arriva. The only solution is to sack Arriva and sue for losses. It would be unwise to involve any of the personnel who "negotiated" the contract.

Zurrieq, Malta
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: buses

The bus system now is better than it was in July, but still people are encountering problems. Since the Luna Holiday Complex is at Mellieha, you are quite far from all tourist attractions in Malta (except Ghadira Bay). The buses that go to the main tourist areas i.e. Sliema, St Julians and Bugibba are working very regularly (every 5-10 minutes) - don't get your hopes high about finding a seat though. It also depends on how lucky you are - for example last time I arrived at my bus stop where there was a bus waiting and as I got in, it left. I felt so happy that the service was this efficient, until the woman next to me told me that she had been waiting on the same stop for 35 minutes before the bus came. Since route 41 (the one you will use to go to Valletta (the main interchange station) includes going to Ghadira Bay which is a very popular tourist destination, its service should be quite regular - however the trip is quite long - 1 hour 30 minutes. The trip on the bus is always very good - drivers are polite, buses smell nice and a/c keeps the buses cool. All I tell you, as a Maltese citizen is that if you can go to your destination using one of the sightseeing open rooftop buses - you should opt for those instead of Arriva Buses. For Sliema, Bugibba and St Julians, buses work fine.

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: buses

Thankyou for your replies, we will certainly look out for the open roof top buses.

Edited: 10 September 2011, 09:41
Newmarket, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: buses

I have booked a holiday at the Solana hotel in November, I am now worried about the buses as I intend to use these to get around(as I don't drive)

should I be worried or will they have got them sorted by November?

this will be my first visit to Mellieha,well Malta as a whole, am now wondering if I have made a mistake, as I don't want to be stuck in one place for a whole week!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: buses

Ali 45

You have NOT made a mistaken in choosing to Visit Mellieha and Malta. In fact the mistake would be changing your mind

Yes there is this nagging problem with the new transport system. But I understand that Arriva has promised to solve all the remaining problems by this end of this month of September. Fingers crossed it does. Because you like many other tourists will reply on the buses to get around. Car hire & taxis are not cheap.

Let hope things get better but the time you get there.

Cas

Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: buses

To all those who blame Arriva - its not entirey their fault - transport malta must take the bulk of blame as they set the rules for the contract that they chose arriva to comply with..the routes, the timetables, the lack of buses and fare structures included. This does not absolve them from trying to resolve the issues and that is what they are doing, these things do take time, and they are improving albeit slowly.

I am not an arriva employee by the way - i live here and can only say for me they work fine and i for one wouldnt want the old yellers back for a gold pig nor a pension... However i do understand the angst of many tourists and can only agree that if this situation isnt solved very very soon next year will see a massive reduction in our much need tourism industry.. I do hope they sort it for you guys and soon as we DO need you.

Get answers to your questions about Mellieha
Recent Conversations