We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going next week, two mums, two 7 year olds and a 1 year old

Which Mellieha hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
577 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Going next week, two mums, two 7 year olds and a 1 year old

Hi all,

I always do as much research as I can before going, but I think I've just got a list so far and only a few sites give bus numbers of how to reach there. I will be staying in the Topaz hotel, ( I have reviewed it cheap and clean is good for us) :)

We are 30 and 25 we will be using public transport staying sc. Any advice or anything i've missed that would be great. We are staying for three weeks so am looking for absolutely everyting to do.

I love museums, caves, beaches exploring so we will be doing some of that but have to keep the kids occupied. I want to go to gozo overnight or just for a day trip, same with comino. Is the blue lagoon shallow enough for kids, looks like a dive off thing. Really want to go to mount etna, but everyone says it is a long day trip and at £90 return on the ferry (kids go free). Could fly but may end up costing more for a day/few days accomodation etc hassle

.Popeye (rundown or not still looks cool), LMS animal park,bay st magic globe, catacombs rabat,fontanella cake shop yummy :) xlendi bay,ghar daalm cave, paradise bay lido, golden sands, jokers st.julians, melhia baech, playmobil fun park (reviewed lol), hypogeum. Don't want to spend more than 450 on food and activites, will be buying bits for breakfast and lunch putting our money together, and eating out for dinner or lunch where appropriate. Could stretch to another 100 to explore sicilly/italy but fine with two days due to the expense and kids being bored. Sorry for the lenghty question :) Anyother trips; know you can't get to greece, morrocco or tunisa by boat ( would love to fly to morrocco for a few days..could we get cheap flights possibly or get a package deal for a few nights from the travel agents

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,327 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going next week, two mums, two 7 year olds and a 1 year old

I tend to agree with everyone who says that the day trip to Sicily is a very very long hard day .

By jove !! You really have a huge list of things to do ---- should keep you busy.

All the places you mention are easy to get to by bus and once in Malta you will soon get used to the buses and getting around.

The Topaz hotel is quite a good position for getting about. The bus stop to take you to the Bugibba / Qawra bus station is just 3 or 4 minutes stroll from the hotel.

I suggest you buy a 7 day bus ticket for only 12 euros which can be used on as many buses as you want up until 11.00 O`clock at night.

As for eating out at lunch time you can eat very inexpensively. There are lots of little snack shops --- pastizzerias -- that sell cheap filling snacks.

I can`t understand why you would want to go on to Morroco when there is so much to see in Malta.

Save Morroco for a seperate holiday.

Enjoy Malta.

Graham

London, United...
Level Contributor
577 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going next week, two mums, two 7 year olds and a 1 year old

Thanks so much for your reply Graham :) Morrocco was only put in my head by my friend who saw ribat and thought we could get there by Ferry ( I explained this was the ribat in Malta :). I knew we couldn't so had to dissapoint her. Definately want to get to sicily as it is so close even though mt.etna isn't thanks so much for your input. Can't wait nowjust printing off buss routes :@)

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,327 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going next week, two mums, two 7 year olds and a 1 year old

If you want to go to Sicily and see Mount Etna I suggest you fly there and perhaps stay overnight.

The ferry and coach trip is difficult---- 250 miles of coach travel.

Graham

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going next week, two mums, two 7 year olds and a 1 year old

Graham,

250 miles of coach travel ?

Are you including mileage on board the ferry, surely its only about 35 miles from Catania to Etna.

I do agree that its a long day trip especially with a 1 year old and there is so much to see in Malta as you say.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,327 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going next week, two mums, two 7 year olds and a 1 year old

tulullah.

The ferry that does the day tour to Sicily doesn`t go to Catania .

It goes to Pozzalo , which is a 90 minute trip from Malta.

The Catania ferry takes at least twice as long and as I said is too long for the day trip.

Once you are on the coach you have to travel almost the whole length of the island ---- hence the 250 mile ride.

Graham

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going next week, two mums, two 7 year olds and a 1 year old

Graham,

I thought I must have gone wrong somewhere as your advice is usually correct.... Sorry !!!

derry.ireland
Level Contributor
127 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going next week, two mums, two 7 year olds and a 1 year old

The first time we were in Malta (9 years ago) we went on a day trip to Sicily , have to say it was a long long day, I cant remember where the ferry went from but I know that we got picked up at the hotel at 4AM and didn't get back to round midnight,

London, United...
Level Contributor
577 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going next week, two mums, two 7 year olds and a 1 year old

Ahh ok thanks guys looks as if I am flying.. just slightly concerned that when I get to catania i will get stuck or ripped off.

I found cheap flights with air malta £150 return staying overnight with a late night flight back with air malta. If I add accomodation for a night cheap dinner and transport that will bring me up to £200. Can I do mt etna unguided.. or will it be best to book myself on a tour. I guess they must be selling tours everywhere but alot you would have to book the day before i guess and my flight that i have seen is late afternoon. In such as case I guess I coudl wing it alone. Do buses go up to etna, coaches can't be only organised tours.. I have been looking into it sorry if i'm asking qusetions that have been answered and asked, but have been scouring all forums for answers :( thanks in advance

Dont want to book in advance to find a chaeper more convenient deal when i get there but looks like these are my only two options hahah

9. Re: Going next week, two mums, two 7 year olds and a 1 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Mellieha
Recent Conversations