We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mellieha help

coventry uk
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
mellieha help

hi all going mellieha in july with my 2 children staying at solana hotel

needed advice on a few things.

1.is gorg borg oliver street miles from the beach.

2.is it good for kids evening times.

3what are the buses like there

4 cider prices.

any help and advice on area would be ace thanks paul.

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mellieha help

Gorg Borg Oliver Street is the main road that runs through Mellieha village, which is about 2 miles from Mellieha Bay, a 10 minute bus ride.

Mellieha village has several restaurants that the kids will enjoy and is a typical touristy village with shops selling beach stuff.

There are regular buses going to and from Mellieha Bay, although at peak times they get very busy, so you may have to wait for the next one.

Suggest you visit Popeye village, originally built as a film set.

If you pm me with an email address I will send you my notes on the area.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mellieha help

In July, the buses serving Mellieha village will as shown on this map http://tinyurl.com/Maltabusmap , but for quick reference will be:

- Buses 37, 41 and 42 to Valletta

- Buses 41 and 42 to Mosta

- Buses 101 and 102 to Golden Bay, Mgarr and Gnejna beach

- Bus 221 to Bugibba & Qawra

- Bus 222 to St. Julians and Sliema.

In the other direction, all buses will go to Mellieha Bay beach (Ghadira) and all of them EXCEPT the 37 will carry on to the ferry at Cirkewwa.

The bus timetables for July have not been published yet, but as a guide, if you are heading for anywhere other than Mellieha Bay or Cirkewwa, aim to catch a bus about 30 minutes before the time that a ferry is due to depart from Mgarr on Gozo, as the buses should be less busy at those times - see http://www.gozochannel.com/timetable.asp?w=0 for the ferry times.

Incidentally, if you get fed up of the beach at Mellieha, new bus 37 will go on to Armier Beach which I suspect may be less busy. Golden Bay and Gnejna may also be worth trying - see maltamaltamalta.com/activities/… .

Phil-the-Bus

Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mellieha help

cider is expensive here and especially in hotel @ 6 euros for 500ml can..usually the bars sell it at 3.75e -4.50e a can.

Its a bus trip to the beach - you could walk there as its down hill but a killer coming up in the summer heat

the solana is in the centre of the village - it is a very safe village however not a lot for kids to do - but as one other person has said popeyes is not far, dated and expensive for whats there but everyone is different.

the bus service is far superior to what it used to be and the 41 runs by every 30 mins or so - its the only bus thats currently allowed to run up and down the hill.

Edited: 19 May 2012, 12:35
Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mellieha help

by the way there is also a splash and fun water park at bahar ic caqhaq (pronounced ba har it cha ah) - its a bus trip but it is there.

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mellieha help

depends what age the kids are but there is a playground down the bottom of Borg Oliver street near the church, it is a lovely spot overlooking mellieha bay and Gozo, it also has a restaurant.snack bar.

Popeye Village is a bit crazy and full of some very surreal and random exibits but its worth visiting, its in a nice cove with a small sandy beach so you could spend the whole day there relaxing in the sun and taking your time to stroll around the popeye village.

Solana is a nice hotel, i enjoyed my stay there.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,464 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mellieha help

Hi David..

Does the 221 and 222 still run from the village down to the beach ?, a little confused about your statement that ONLY bus 41 is allowed to run up and down the hill ?

Regards

Dave

England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mellieha help

I am confused as well - there is nothing in the "diversions" section of the Arriva website to say that the other services arn't coming through the village.

Phil-the-Bus

coventry uk
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mellieha help

thanks for all the help does anyone know the price of a short hop on the bus up the hill in mellieha back to my hotel will be to hot for me walking up that haha thanks paul.

England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mellieha help

There are no short hop fares Paul - it is either €2.20 single or €2.60 for a day ticket (or buy as 7-day unlimited travel ticket).

With regard to which buses are travelling through Mellieha village at the moment, it appears that all buses are going down the hill, but only bus 41 will be going up the hill until the new timetables come in on the 27th May.

This is apparently due to traffic congestion caused by the roadworks on the Mellieha Bypass - a situation which is getting very political and controversial as a quick browse through the "Times of Malta" website will prove !

In the meantime, if you need to get bus 101, 102, 221 or 222 from the Solana to Bugibba, Sliema or Golden Bay, I suggest that you catch bus 41 (or walk) to the Belle View interchange at the southern end of Mellieha and wait for your bus there.

Phil-the-Bus

Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mellieha help

Phil the bus is spot on.....

Get answers to your questions about Mellieha
Recent Conversations