We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

online groceries delivery rather than rented car?

Which Mellieha hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stockholm
Level Contributor
658 posts
Save Topic
online groceries delivery rather than rented car?

We're staying 3 weeks in various rented apartments in Malta this summer. Two locations are more or less remote (Tas Sellum outside Mellieha and Radisson Golden Sands; the third is a central apartment in Sliema). We'd prefer not to rent a car given rumours about horrrible traffic + first time left side driving.

Would it be possible/ solve our "shopping food" problem to buy groceries online and have them delivered (we do this at home all the time but never before when trravelling). Above all, is there some catch that I don't see?

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: online groceries delivery rather than rented car?

Personally , living in Malta , I do my shopping only once a week from a nearby supermarket . If you are not going to stay , locked up in your apartment , you can do some shopping in Mellieha on the way back to the apartment . Golden Sands is a bit remote , but the bus service is good and stops just outside the hotel carpark . Sliema is full of shops and you should have no problem .

The problem I see with ordering online , is the fact that you will have to wait for the delivery and they are not punctual .

I have seen lots of people entering the Golden sands loaded with supplies from supermarkets in St Pauls bay or Manikata .Two bags full of supplies will keep you going for some time , and nowhere is far in Malta .

There is a good shop at the airport 24/7 that will get you going for the first day or two , even if prices are a bit expensive . Just buy the bare needs .

Welcome to my opinion and Malta

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: online groceries delivery rather than rented car?

http://www.mellieha.com/shopping.htm

Stockholm
Level Contributor
658 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: online groceries delivery rather than rented car?

Well, my back is horrrible and I could never carry even all the drink consumed by my family at home even a few hundred meters, so carrying all the fruit juice needed in 34 degrees heat a mile to the apartment from the shops in Melleiha is not really an option; it's either a car or "home delivery"...

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: online groceries delivery rather than rented car?

Personally having driven in Malta for over 20 years, I would hire a car, not only for shopping but also a good way to see Malta. Far quicker by car than by bus and you can go when you want rather than waiting for the next bus.

All these accidents are overhyped, I have seen one in the last 10 years and I am usually in Malta for 2 weeks each summer. I hire a car from the time I arrive to the time I fly back, usually collecting the car from the airport. As I have family and friends in Malta we are usually out most evenings driving to St Julian's or Msida area, as well as visiting Valletta on a few days.

If you are adamant on home delivery Scotts deliver free for orders over €40

http://www.scotts.com.mt/scotts/home.aspx

Have a great time, I am sure that you will love the Radisson, we are staying there again this summer.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: online groceries delivery rather than rented car?

Many shops make home deliveries , and you do not need to order online to get home deliveries .

Southampton, England
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: online groceries delivery rather than rented car?

If your back is that bad, surely you will need a hire car to get around :o/

Edited: 20 May 2012, 16:41
sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: online groceries delivery rather than rented car?

if supermarket not too far & footpath (pavement) smooth maybe they may allow you to take the trolley home...we did just that in St Julians as we were about 100m metres from the supermarket. As a guarantee of bringing the shopping trolley back we left them our drivers licence...worked out well for us as we returned the trolley within 15 mins.

8. Re: online groceries delivery rather than rented car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 08:16
Get answers to your questions about Mellieha
Recent Conversations