We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Solana hotel nearby supermarkets?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at Solana hotel nearby supermarkets?

I just booked self catering at Solana hotel in Mellieha. Travelling with my husband and 2 kids, one teenager.Just wondered if anyone coud tell me if which one is the nearest supermarket and how to get there and back to Solana hotel please. Any activities we can do?

Thank you

Island of Gozo...
Level Contributor
380 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at Solana hotel nearby supermarkets?

Jevons supermarket is almost opposite, good fruit but find prices a bit high. We use F & V Enterprises down the side road by Billy's music club. Always good priced and most English food....

Solana is excellent had a week there SC great reception area for snacks and drinks also free Wi-Fi....

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at Solana hotel nearby supermarkets?

Thank you for a quick response. Thats very helpful.

Level Contributor
121 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at Solana hotel nearby supermarkets?

There is a cheaper supermarket - GS Shoppers abit further back up the hill by the cross keys pub. Part of a chain on the island, larger with more choice.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,336 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at Solana hotel nearby supermarkets?

GS - best in Mellieha. Jevons - overprice everything and aimed at unsuspecting tourists.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at Solana hotel nearby supermarkets?

Thank you.il bear that in mind.

Wirral
Level Contributor
93 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at Solana hotel nearby supermarkets?

There is now also a new little mini-market opened just up from the Solana & opposite Jevons. Didn't use it so can't comment on prices.

Island of Gozo...
Level Contributor
380 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at Solana hotel nearby supermarkets?

You asked for supermarket near Solana, personally we always use FV Enterprises in the street by Billy's musiclub, her prices are very good to G & S etc also she sells mostly uk products as more than half her shoppers are from the uk and live here.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at Solana hotel nearby supermarkets?

Annabelle,

The Solana is in Oliver Borg street which is the main street in Mellieha, and there rae several shops along this street. Also, further up the hill there is a fish mongers which sells some lovekt fresh fish.

As for activities, it all depends on what you and members of the family want to do. The main attraction of Mellieha is its beach. Arguably the best in Malta. For kids under 10, there is Popye Village.

A few hours visiting the Shrine of the Beautiful Lady of Mellieha and a second world shelter nearby are worth considering

Melleiha is also a gateway to Comino island for a day trip. There are a couple of cruise that leave daily around 11:00 o'clock from Mellieha Tanny to Comino Island and they don't return until 17:00 pm. All for 12 euros. A couple of bus stops away there is Cirkewwa port where you can get the ferry to Gozo island.

At night time, Mellieha town is very quiet. Not much entertainment in bars or restaurants. All activities would be hotel-based.

I would recommend you get yourselves each a weekly bus pass for 12 euros. With that you will have the freedom to use any bus, anywhere, at any time till 11:00 pm and as often as you like for a whole seven days.

Cities like Valletta, Sliema and Mosta are a must when in Malta as other places of interest like M'dina, Rabat and Marxarokk. Remember, Malta is a very small island, and can easily be explored north to south, east to west in few days.

Enjoy your vistt.

Cheers

Cas

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying at Solana hotel nearby supermarkets?

Thanks Cas. Unfortunately the Solano which i initially booked was already fully booked and they had to camcel my booking as lowcost holidays said it doesnt appear right away in their system. Anyway, because I couldnt find a hotel as good as Solanos reviews decided to book intercontinental in St Julians. Any suggestion what to do?

Thanks

10. Re: Staying at Solana hotel nearby supermarkets?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Mellieha
Recent Conversations