We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Supermarket

North West England
Level Contributor
82 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Best Supermarket

We will be visiting Malta for the first time at the end of April and have rented an apartment in Mellieha. Is there a particularly good supermarket in town or any other outlet for a veriety of quality foods. We will have a car so location really isn't an issue.

Many thanks in advance.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Supermarket

There is a supermarket in Mellieha at the top of the village called Shoppers.

It is a medium sized place but certainly will have everything you would need.

If you want a bigger one then Scott`s Supermarket in the village of Burrmerad between St Pauls Bay and Mosta., It has an excellent butchers department.

You will have no problems,

Graham

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,168 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Supermarket

If you are leaving the airport with your car, you will pass a LIDL at Luqa en-route to Mellieha too.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 15:23
Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Supermarket

As you have a car I would recommend you go to Scotts at Burmarrad, the shop is on two floors and is about 4 times the size of Shoppers in Mellieha, also the prices are a lot cheaper with a wider choice. http://www.scotts.com.mt/scotts/home.aspx Burmarrad Road, (Triq Burmarrad); 21575180

From Mellieha village drive towards St Pauls, from the edge of Mellieha village you go straight over a roundabout, down the hill and up the other side. At the top there is a roundabout, straight over, this is the beginning of Xemxija, down the hill with the harbour/bay on your left. There are two roundabouts close together, right at the first and left at the second, continue along the St Pauls bypass (dual carriageway), right at the next roundabout and it is on the right 0.7KM from the roundabout. It is the back of the supermarket that you see from the road, the entrance is round the back. The supermarket has a fantastic meat counter, bakery and fresh cheese counter on two floors.

Monday to Saturday 8am – 8pm, Sunday 8am to 11.30am

Edited: 27 March 2014, 20:56
St. Paul's Bay...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
293 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Supermarket

Unfortunately you will find that food prices in Mellieha are more expensive compared to the other towns so yes I would recommend to go to St Pauls Bay. There is Piscopo cash and carry (in st.pauls bay) which is quite good as well.

North West England
Level Contributor
82 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Supermarket

Thanks very much chaps - it seems we won't starve!

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,205 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Supermarket

you will not starve in Malta..so saying that before ordering food esp pasta look at the serves other people are getting. Im (female) and love food but found the meals sometimes too much so I tend to order the starters (entrée) size pastas.

Mgarr, Malta
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Supermarket

I recommend Pavi @ Hal-Qormi, I also recommend trying spaghetti with rabbit sauce, done correctly it is absolutely fantastic washed down with a good Maltese red wine.

North West England
Level Contributor
82 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Supermarket

My goodness - that's a fair way from Mellieha. I can only assume they are Malta's only stockist of Hollands pies!

Mgarr, Malta
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Supermarket

I like pie.

Island of Gozo...
Level Contributor
380 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Supermarket

We disagree regarding Scotts and Piscopo's are more expensive, we didn't seem to get as much for our money therefore only been in both only once. Shoppers is ok but friut and veg not fresh. Try F & V enterprises in Mellieha a small shop in the street alongside Billy;s Musiclub.. We live in Mellieha and like to support small business...Vicky likes to think she is competitive with prices and will deliver if you require she has most food, drink, fresh and frozen, fresh Maltese bread daily. Also there are a couple of small shops on the main street in Mellieha so there really is no need to travel.

If you want to eat out try Billy's Musiclub where there is food cooked to order, specials, pizza, kids meals and lots more. if its not on the menu ask Matt the chef..Wednesday is pie n pint 5.50 euro (pie comes with mash or chips and veg) you really wont beat it.

Have a great time in Mellieha....and Malta

Get answers to your questions about Mellieha