We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling around on buses

Which Mellieha hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
151 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling around on buses

Hi

My parents (in their late 70's) are unfortunately too old to hire a car. They are both fit enough to get out and about so

how easy is it travelling around from Mellieha Bay Hotel, can they buy a weekly ticket?

Is there any discount for OAPs?

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,628 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling around on buses

Others will confirm but I do not think there is a discount - a weekly pass is an amazing €6.50 only though! The hotel is about a five minute walk to the bus stop where quite a few buses pass to Valletta, Sliema, Bugibba etc. It's quite a long bus journey to most places due to the northern location of the hotel. If they are coming after August, it will be much quieter as buses get packed & standing all the way is not uncommon in the school holidays. Timetables are still erratic but buses are relatively frequent. They will also need to get a bus to Mellieha village (which is rather hilly).

Greater London...
Level Contributor
460 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling around on buses

I've done research for an upcoming trip so can tell you there is no discount for UK visitors but the weekly bus pass for the whole of Malta only costs 6.5 euros (bargain!). The pass is not valid for Gozo. Were they to go there for, say, a day trip a daily bus pass valid there costs 1.5 euros. Locals will have to advise you on getting about on buses.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,313 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling around on buses

The 6.50 euro weekly bus ticket is great value for money --- about 75 UK pence per day.

You won`t get much better value than that.

The ticket used to be 12 euros but was reduced to 6.50.

I am sure they will enjoy their stay,

Graham

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
7,975 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling around on buses

Lots of places to travel to don't imaging they will be in any hurry so they will be fine. They can take the bus to Valletta and hop on another one to wherever takes their fancy.

You could download a route map for them with a decent size map of Malta and Gozo as they will be in Mellieha I am sure that they would like to see Gozo ferry prices €4.95 each and they pay on the return journey, a days bus pass on Gozo is €1.50.

I had lunch there in Jan this year for two including 2 glasses of wine €14.

London, United...
Level Contributor
151 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling around on buses

Thanks for all your advice , wow €6.50, that's great !

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling around on buses

Tis TA article may also be of assistance to them - tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g190311-c109681/Mal… .

Phil-the-Bus

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,549 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling around on buses

To clarify, there are bus discounts for senior citizens, but you need get a Karta Anzjan or another EU document basically showing that you reside on Malta. It's not worth it / applicable for short stays such as a holiday.

8. Re: Travelling around on buses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Mellieha
Recent Conversations