We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Azure Window is no more

Greenford, Middx.
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
59 reviews
Azure Window is no more

Just in case you were not aware, the Azure Window is no more :(

The arch collapsed at about 9:40 am local time (8:40 am UTC) on 8 March 2017 after a period of heavy storms, leaving nothing visible above the water. The pillar gave way first, causing the top part of the arch to collapse along with it. The pillar shattered into large chunks of rock as it collapsed.

telegraph.co.uk/travel/…

12 replies to this topic
Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
12,651 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Azure Window is no more

It`s a great shame but there have been many posts on this subject since the coolapse.

Graham

London, United...
9 posts
2. Re: Azure Window is no more

Hi,

I was planning on visiting this place. Thanks for letting us know. Will look for somewhere else then for our day trip.

Thanks,

Sheikh

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
3,294 posts
113 reviews
3. Re: Azure Window is no more

Sheikh there is still plenty to see on Gozo, even at Dwerja Bay where the Azure Window was, you can still visit the inland sea and take a boat trip through the tunnels. The capital Victoria, especially the Citadel is a real gem too.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
914 posts
98 reviews
4. Re: Azure Window is no more

What are you going to do with your avatar, Triplalot? Photoshop it; choose a new attraction; or keep it to remind us of what the dear old Azure Window used to look like?

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
3,294 posts
113 reviews
5. Re: Azure Window is no more

Willie I'm going to keep this Avatar for a while, Azure Window circa 2005, it still looked quite sturdy back then !

St. Paul's Bay...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
316 posts
72 reviews
6. Re: Azure Window is no more

Gozo is certainly not just the Azure Window....the whole island is an attraction. It deserves more than just a day trip. Infact many people to visit Gozo as a day trip tend to return for longer.

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
19 reviews
7. Re: Azure Window is no more

Agree, there is still loads to see in Gozo. The Azure window was just one of the places to visit on the island so still very much worth a visit.

Malta
Level Contributor
497 posts
35 reviews
8. Re: Azure Window is no more

There is a similar, smaller arch in Gozo at Wied il-Mielah! Happy exploring.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
3,704 posts
295 reviews
9. Re: Azure Window is no more

We recently walked to the Wied il-Mielah window from Ramla Bay, it looks pretty sturdy to me though I fear there may have to be some better facilities organised before it is suitable for general tourism. Funnily enough there were lots of people standing at the usual viewpoint of the original Azure Window even though it is no longer there!

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
635 posts
211 reviews
10. Re: Azure Window is no more

Is it still worth going to the site to see the coastline and the diving chimney? If not, I will need to find a replacement site to visit for my Gozo day trip.

Reply to: Azure Window is no more
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Xlendi