We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather North Sumatra October/November

Bonn, Germany
Level Contributor
55 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Weather North Sumatra October/November

Dear all,

I am planning to spend 8 weeks in Indonesia in Oct/Nov and am planning to visit North Sumatra, Bali and Flores. As this will be the rainy season I am not sure if I should begin the trip in Bali and Flores in October and make my way to North Sumatra where I would then be spending November or if I should do it the other way round? What is the best time to visit?

I would be grateful if someone could help me.

Many thanks in advance!

Level Contributor
472 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather North Sumatra October/November

Dear Anmue,

First of all kindly refer to my post 11 in the following thread:

As you can see the average amount of rainfall in the South Bay area of Lake Toba in Tuk Tuk is in October 193 mm and in November 270 mm.

So considering the precipitation October would possibly the better month.

However, there could be something else to consider.

We, at least in Tuk Tuk, are now well in to the DRY SEASON, over the last month counting back 30 days we had exactly 8 mm, let’s say just about zero.

Now my observation is that in Indonesia people like to burn things. Maybe, this is a bit too much of a generalization, but the statement for sure holds for Tuk Tuk and our neighbouring province Riau. In Riau not only the regular rubbish but also forest and peat. This then results in the well known haze, not only in Singapore and KL, but also in Tuk Tuk. One may expect this fun to start in the coming months, and it will last till the rainy season is in full swing.

Personally, I like a heavy shower better than the haze, so weather wise my preference would be November, of course still hoping that the rainy season will start in October. Also knowing that during the rainy season it normally rains only for a few hours in the late afternoon and early evening.

Gili Trawangan...
Level Contributor
10 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather North Sumatra October/November

I have been to North Sumatra many times over the past 15 years and easrly October can be terrific! But s you move further into the month it should get wetter (often wonderful mornings and wet afternoons/evenings). Bali However where I once lived and worked should be perfect well into November. I would start early on Lake Toba and move east ahead of the rains. Enjoy!

Bonn, Germany
Level Contributor
55 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather North Sumatra October/November

Great, thank you!

I have decided to fly to start my trip in Bali and Flores and then head to Padang, Lake Toba, Banda Aceh (if time permits) so will definitely be in North Sumatra in November.

4. Re: Weather North Sumatra October/November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about North Sumatra
More North Sumatra Topics
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor